Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i think im going to get hps brake pads, b/c the ebc seem expensive and the only place i know to get them are from steeda, and its like 70 bucks for one set, so i think you only get two pads, when you kinda need two for each wheel. Im not even sure if im correct on this. Someone help. Im thinking of getting the hawks from tire rack but i just wanted to know if there was any other place i can get them for alittle cheaper. Also how many orders do i have to put in for, like does the 70bucks get me 4 pads, or just 2? Thanks

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k thanks, thats all i need, i dont have rear disc, just drums, not sure if i need pads for those, but it doesnt look like i have much of a selection on what to get for those, guess not many cars have drums anymore.

·
Registered
299 Posts
so when u order the hawk pads u get 4 pads not 2?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
When you order one set of pads you get everything you need for either the entire front or the entire rear. Four pads total (four shoes if doing the rear drum brakes).

·
Registered
299 Posts
nah i had a shop order them but they only did the front

·
Registered
200 Posts
DrkKnight614 said:
Hey i think im going to get hps brake pads, b/c the ebc seem expensive and the only place i know to get them are from steeda, and its like 70 bucks for one set, so i think you only get two pads, when you kinda need two for each wheel. Im not even sure if im correct on this. Someone help. Im thinking of getting the hawks from tire rack but i just wanted to know if there was any other place i can get them for alittle cheaper. Also how many orders do i have to put in for, like does the 70bucks get me 4 pads, or just 2? Thanks
A set of pads should technically be 4, it’s pointless to sell them individually b/c each rotor requires two pads

Try these websites:

Central Florida Motorsport
Focus Sport

Installing brake pads is a relatively straightforward install. I am not a competent mechanic and I was able to install them, including the rotors. Just take your time… The first endeavor will take longer than expected

I like Hawk pads, I have the HPS, minimal brake dust, and they are easy on the rotors. I have EBC solid rotors

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Brakes are so easy that if you can't do them yourself, you'd better be missing at least one of your hands, if not both. If you can jack and support your car, take the wheel off and use a 7mm allen wrench and c-clamp to compress the cylinder you can do your own brakes.

And yes, Hawk HPS pads do dust far less than any pad I've ever used (basically, OEM pads and Mintex A/F.) I got a set of Hawk HPS at Summit Racing for my BAT front kit (it uses Mustang GT pads) and I've noticed much less dust, however, I've also noticed that the dust that does accumulate is much harder to remove than what I'm used to. So I guess its a tradeoff, but its worth it seeing as how I can drive to the store after washing my car and not have my wheels back to looking the way they did before I washed the car.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Unless you have rear disc you should only run OEM shoes...the drums are worthless for anything but a parking brake.
That's a silly and uninformed response. The rear brakes of a focus do exactly what they are designed to do....keep the rear end planted behind the front under braking conditions.

The size of brakes is determined by rather simple mathematical formulas that deal with mass and inertia. The engineers design brakes knowing exactly how a focus is balanced, its designed weight capacity and how much of that weight is moving forward (weight transfer) at a given rate. While drum brakes may not be glamorous they do work and work well. The reason they are used is simple... they are cheaper to manufacturer. The Focus is still a better car than a majority of those in its price range even if its not using more sophisticated (if you want to call rear discs that) engineering. Screwing around with one end or the other and not knowing what you are doing often results in unintended consequences.

·
Registered
299 Posts
hawk pads though do do da job

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Geezer said:
That's a silly and uninformed response. The rear brakes of a focus do exactly what they are designed to do....keep the rear end planted behind the front under braking conditions.

The size of brakes is determined by rather simple mathematical formulas that deal with mass and inertia. The engineers design brakes knowing exactly how a focus is balanced, its designed weight capacity and how much of that weight is moving forward (weight transfer) at a given rate. While drum brakes may not be glamorous they do work and work well. The reason they are used is simple... they are cheaper to manufacturer. The Focus is still a better car than a majority of those in its price range even if its not using more sophisticated (if you want to call rear discs that) engineering. Screwing around with one end or the other and not knowing what you are doing often results in unintended consequences.
So you're saying that, assuming they were available (which they aren't), it would be worth shelling out extra money for matching shoes? The drums are only making about 20% of the entire braking force...I can guarantee you that switching to premium-compound shoes isn't going to significantly effect braking performance enough to justify the price premium. Like I said, OEM shoes will work fine, there's no need to get premium parts.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If you change to a performance pad in the front...simple logic (common sense) would tell you to improve the rear shoe as well to maintain the designed brake bias regardless of what the percentage is.

PS where does the 20% rear brake figure come from? I don't believe there is any factual basis for this number but if there is I stand corrected. Most street car braking systems are more in the area of 60%f/40%r, +/- 5 to 10%.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^well considering i dont really see any performance drum pads, i dont really think you can do that if you wanted to. I havent heard of any complaints from any of the people on this forum about it so i dont think theres really a problem and id have to get hiperformance drum pads, dont even think they make them lol. Anyway i found a great price on the hawk hps pads, theres an ebay store selling them for 52 bucks, plus free shipping, so compared to tirerackes 75 bucks plus 10 dollar shipping thats a great price. The ebay store has 4 left, so jump on it if your looking for pads, just leave a set for me lol.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
There are two upgrades for the rear shoes that I'm aware of Mintex AF's and Porterfield R4s. Either is better than the stock shoe. The latter is a popular performance compound in solo/autocross circles. Its more or less equivalent to Hawk HPS. Performance shoes are out there, you just have to look. I'm betting there's some european brake companies like Ferrodo that make them as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts