Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this isnt your run o the mill, what should i get? thread.

i have a problem, im doing a bunch of body work to my car and in this i have gotten a hood, it looks nice and has about 20square inches of intake area, and i would like to take advatage of some of that via some ducting etc.....

but insert problem, i live in WA... i have to acount for DUMPING rain at freeway speeds, or basicly someone dropoing 5 gallons of water on my hood at 60mph......

and that i dont want that to get into my motor, so is there any cool ducting i could do?

my plane as of now was to more or less take a short ram airkit and then run some LARGE tube (pvc or something) around the filter, almost like an air box, with a plug on one end.

then have the large tube go over the smaller tube (fro mthe filter to the car) and then make a scoop deal for it to ram air from the hood holes.

it sounded good until i tought of pouring rain at 60mph...

im curious as to how that sounds to you guys, ill get some pics of the hood soon, ( i cant find the damn website)

oh and also the MAF... if i were to mount it closer to the throttle body would it cause any issues???

thank you to anyone who can help me!

levi

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
i dont think mounting it closer to the intake is a good idea. there is not much you could do about the intake situation. i would run a short ram during the rainy season and something else the rest of the time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll agree with bestthaticouldo.

Unless you're going for a bigger maf, I wouldn't relocate it. Run a short ram during the winter/raining seasons...and then maybe a cai the rest of the time. Keep in mind AEM makes an air bypass valve that connects onto your cai. So if your filter becomes wet and/or sumerged in water, you're engine wont suck it up into itself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmmmmmm well for the CAI i was jsut going to use the hood air, and i was just going to shroud the filter with a large tube to stop water from getting onto it.

my father pointed out that if i jsut run the large tube over near the hood intakes and jsut cut out part of the bottem it wont get water up in the tube, but it will suck up cold air [:p]

as for the MAF... i was jsut curious as to how it could be mounted and the like, and on most short ram air intakes how do they have the MAF mounted?

and lastly where is a good place to get a ITG filter mount for the Zetec? i saw one for the duratech, but i kinda need it for mine.....

maybe ill haveto draw a picture of whati mean by the tube over a tube crap, or make a mock up.

thank you guys for the input, worst case i can jsut run short ram all the time *shrugs*

levi

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK just got done looking at the whole hood deal,

and no matter what short air ram intake i use, it will get water on/in the filter if it rains.

i have a picture to show this, but it wont upload..... so il ltry to get that later.

so becasue i cant use any stock air intake, im going ot build my own, its cheaper to!

so for the filter, right now its a toss up bewteen a large $30 K&N filter(my fathers choice) and im looking more at an ITG filter. i know they cost more, but they suposdly work better, (less psi drop with larger dirt amount)

i then plan on using some rubber with ribs glued in, or pvc or fiber glas etc.... to make a water shroud for the filter, because other wise it will get wet....

so i must ask, what are the pros and cons of an ITG filter?

and also the stock intake tube ( from the MAF to the motor) how good is that? is it really worth replacing? would i even see a 1whp increase???

insight or ideas would be helpfully!!! and thank you to those who have already posted!

levi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts