Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Not so green zx3
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright fellow FF'ers the last couple days my system has been f'ing up and i can't figure out why. let me start by saying i have 2 12" alpines and a alpine 500m amp. i use a stinger circuit breaker instead of a fuse. alright so onto the problem. when i start the car the subs are on but the second i go to turn the volume up the subs shut off. i have checked everything. no connections are bad, the circuit breaker hasn't flipped, and the amp is getting power. i have had no problems with this system until now, and i've had it for two years. on friday i plan on getting thicker speaker wire for the subs and maybe a capacitor. what are everyone's thoughts on my issue?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Do you have a buddy that will let you hook up your amp to his sub(S)?

Try that first and let us know what happens.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Do you have any speaker to use?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Smell around the amp itself. Does it smell burnt? You might have to unmount it to tell for sure.

Unmount the subs and smell the back of them as well.

·
Not so green zx3
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there's nothing wrong with the amp, like i said it's getting power. the light is on showing it has power running through it. and the subs clearly work to because when i first start the car they are on but when i turn the volume up they cut out, but the amp is still on. and nothing smells like it's burning. i have noticed at night recently when i have my subs going that all my lights dim really hard. so i'm thinking this whole thing may be alternator related

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Could be alternator. but then again could be the amp going into protection mode since it cuts off once u turn it up. Have your alternator checked out or get a high powered alternator.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Could be alternator. but then again could be the amp going into protection mode since it cuts off once u turn it up. Have your alternator checked out or get a high powered alternator.
That is an excellent point about it being in Protection mode.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Unplug one of the RCA's and see what happens.

Then do the same to the other side.

Remember, we are trying to help you. Not bash you.

Are you using an amp for your door speakers?

If so, hook your subs up to that and see what happens.

·
Not so green zx3
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nah i still have my stock speakers at the moment. and i know your not bashing i was just informing you i have tried all that already. ill give the RCA thing a try in the morning. you'll have to forgive me if i seem a little pissy or something, i am by no means an audio noob. i have put in tons of systems and fixed all sorts of problems my friend's systems have had. and i really just can't figure out what the hell is going on here haha. i also plan on getting my alternator checked out friday

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Yea it could possibly be going in protection mode. I would try a different amp if ones availiable. U could also try turning the bass down on the amp and trying that. If a audio shop is close by, i would take it there and let them check it out for u. Alternator could also be the problem. I would get that fixed asap

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I am leaning to something wrong in the output section of the amp. SMD's, etc.

·
Not so green zx3
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i called audio guys i know around here that i bought everything from originally. they said theres no way to really tell the problem unless they looked at it so i might hand it over to them. once everything is working good again i need something to handle all the power im pushing. im thinking capacitor and optima yellow top battery

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sounds like the amp is going into protect mode. Could be the amp is fried, try hooking up speakers. Worse case you some how fried both the voice coils in the subs(HIGHLY DOUBT IT).

AND DO NOT GET A CAPACITOR... they literally do absolutely nothing.... not trying to be a dick but I dont want you waisting your hard earned money... do some research on them and see.

·
Not so green zx3
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am leaning to something wrong in the output section of the amp. SMD's, etc.
it's very possible you're right. i just do not want to believe it lol. the amp has been handling these subs by itself for 2 years in 3 different cars. i guess ill find out as soon as i don't have school and work in the same day. so maybe thursday. i think my cousin has a spare amp

·
Registered
487 Posts
still dont get a cap.
run 0 gauge power and ground. do the big three if that doesn't work get an extra battery.

The only time to use a capacitor would be to eliminate noise

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree that most likely the amp is going into protection mode, it should have a protect light somewhere that would indicate if it is. it could be something as simple as a loose wire inside the speaker box or the rca's getting pinched somewhere that is causing the amp to protect.

as far as an alternator issue, a bad alt would not cause this type of issue. and you would have other problems such as your battery going dead, dim lighting, etc. if your alt was bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
AND DO NOT GET A CAPACITOR... they literally do absolutely nothing.... not trying to be a dick but I dont want you waisting your hard earned money... do some research on them and see.
and +1 to what this guy said, caps are a waist of money. and if you are only running 500 watts you should be fine with your stock battery and alt provided they are both in good condition and your wiring is done right.

·
Not so green zx3
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i do have light dimming which is what led me to believe it was alternator related. as for the cap, my buddy has one with his two 13" jl w3s and it seems to keep his car alive. either way im gonna go to the audio guys i know and see what they say about this nonsense. im not about to buy an amp if that's not what it is. but from what i can tell, i see no other option

1 - 20 of 28 Posts