Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all.

I replace the rear brakes on my 2000 focus about 5 months ago and all has seemed well, but recently I have started smelling the LR brake. When I first checked this out, I pulled on the e-brake cable where it goes into the drum and that little cheezy plug for the brake backing plate popped out and the ears were broken so I could not get it back in, got another one at Advance auto I need to put in soon.

At any rate, after I pulled on the ebrake cable, it freed the drum up and I drove it for a day or so (no time to stop and pull it apart this week until today), and it started smelling again.

I'm no fan of the self adjusters that ford used on these drum brakes and I had trouble getting each side adjusted equally when I replaced the brakes as when I tried to allow it to "self adjust" after the brake job, I wound up with one side tighter than the other (the LR was tighter at that point as well, but I pulled it back apart and got them pretty much equal.).

Does this sound like an adjuster issue, or perhaps an ebrake cable issue? I'm thinking ebrake cable as I pulled on the RR side and the cable moved more freely and didn't pull the plug out of the backing plate. I also replaced both rear wheel cylinders when I did the brakes. (what a PITA that was!)

Also, on the brake backing plate, on the opposite side of where the ebrake cable goes into the backing plate, there is a small white, plastic shaft with a spring on it. What is that used for or to adjust?? How should it be adjusted if it requires adjustment?

I'd really appreciate any help or thoughts anyone can provide.

-Greg

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe I found the issue. According to the Haynes manual, I had the lower spring installed incorrectly (coiled part on wrong shoe) and I also believe the ebrake cable was at least contributing to the issue. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I believe I found the issue. According to the Haynes manual, I had the lower spring installed incorrectly (coiled part on wrong shoe) and I also believe the ebrake cable was at least contributing to the issue. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
That was probably it, I was going to suggest you look at the springs. Why? Been there done that wrong myself. [grinking]

·
Registered
62 Posts
wow good eye on the spring!
i was going to comment on the ebrake, as mine has always caused issues and basically needs replaced (rusted out). currently i have LR ebrake unhooked

1 - 4 of 4 Posts