Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 Ford Focus ZTS. If you go to start the car after 5 or 10 seconds of using the unlock button to open the doors you have to press the key fob again for the car to turn over when you turn the key. There is a black horn unit underneath the hood with a couple wires going from it and it looks like a couple disconnected wires. Also I'm attaching a picture of the little red blinking light that is on my dash below the trunk button. Any ideas on this ? uploadfromtaptalk1408924444514.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1408924444514.jpg

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Aftermarket alarm/security system.

Nice to sell a car without any ppwk./details on that.

IMHO tracing the wiring to the unit, then backwards to all connections to remove it completely would be your best option.

If you want to use it (leave it installed) you'll need to find the unit & research it. Getting ppwk. & missing parts (fobs) may be difficult to impossible depending on the type/brand.

Partially defeated as it seems to be now, you never know when it may give you additional trouble.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aftermarket alarm/security system.

Nice to sell a car without any ppwk./details on that.

IMHO tracing the wiring to the unit, then backwards to all connections to remove it completely would be your best option.

If you want to use it (leave it installed) you'll need to find the unit & research it. Getting ppwk. & missing parts (fobs) may be difficult to impossible depending on the type/brand.

Partially defeated as it seems to be now, you never know when it may give you additional trouble.
Kinda thought it was something like that.
So it seems they installed the aftermarket unit and must a tied it into the original keyless entry. From what Ford says my key fob is a factory fob.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Could be done easily enough.

Trigger signal to unlock the doors could be tapped into as a control signal to the aftermarket unit. The only confirmed function operational is a timed limit on starting the car with the key after triggering the locks (from your description).

As you mention that, it seems possible that the unit might work without it's own fob. The questions remaining involve how to use it including what functions it's supposed to have. Detached wires indicate at least a partial defeat of it to me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'll start first on disconnecting the horn like unit under the hood and dead ending the wires. See what effect that has. I have a spare ride so not the end of the world.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it fixed. Found manual switch to disable immobilizer. By the wires together which allowed the key to start without doing the fob no matter how long it sits. Also... Pull that little light in the original post and disconnected the wire that lights it up so that won't drain my battery this winter. Key fob still retains full functionality

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lucky you managing to get yours to run again. I'm currently fighting with mine too.

It's quite possible you have installed the same as I have in mine (2001 Wagon). Mine is a Ford 'System 4' Dealer installed add-on alarm system. Probably the same 125dB siren under the hood (behind LHS headlight) and on my dash (in a slightly different position) is a lighted push-button 'valet switch'. It is operated using the standard Ford fob. They seem to have been very commonly installed on lots of different Fords. The PN on my control box is LBL0436.

My system (in a recently purchased car) seemed to be working fine. The PITA feature was that even if the car wasn't locked or system armed, in order to start the car it was necessary to lock and unlock the doors with the fob.

Last night I decided to try and program a spare fob. Well, I got that part wrong and managed to de-program my fobs and also the alarm got armed and all hell broke loose! 125dB is VERY loud when you're frantically trying to disconnect the battery which is right next to the siren!

I've managed to reprogram 2 fobs that will lock/unlock the doors and apparently arm/disarm the System 4 but when I turn the key to start the motor nothing happens. I've tried locking/unlocking the doors (like before) with no success.

All this time the OEM alarm light (next to the Hazard switch) keeps doing a slow blink. This is my first experience with a Focus, so I didn't notice what this light did before yesterday. Is this normal in Focii with no alarm system added? I'm not sure if I'm fighting 1 alarm system or 2 at this point! Is there some way to do a 'reset' for the OEM system?

Help! And TIA.

P.S. My first post.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On mine...down next to the door on drivers side there was a small push button. Push in that for 1 min and then turn key on and try to start...it should disable the immobilizer. If that works...take apart the plastic part there and splice the two wires together. That will permanently disable the immobilizer and you wont have to push buttons anymore

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the instruction booklet for the System 4 there's a space for the installer to write the location of the 'hidden' button. Unfortunately, it's blank, so he either didn't bother to write it down or didn't bother to install it. [mecry]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think at this point I'll just cut the whole System 4 alarm out of the car. I've never had an alarm before (no need) and live in an area where there's no need, really.

It sure would be nice to have a Factory wiring diagram to be able to identify the wires I'm disconnecting the alarm from! Is there one available online? Or does anyone know if these 'Manuals' from Ebay are the actual Factory Manuals (as advertised)?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FORD-OFFICIA...:Ford|Model:Focus&hash=item19f38763a7&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure at all..I'm not even sure if the immobilizer is part of that aftermarket alarm or the pats system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts