Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, okay i have a 2003 zx5 i bought it used 2 years ago, in my steering wheel i have cruise control butons but nothing happens when i press them driving or in park, i wanted to know if i have butons i should have cruise control right or did ford just put them in all thier focuses so i it looks fancy????\\

thanks for the relplies

jp

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
check your throttle body and see if there are 2 cables on it, if so you have cruise. If you do the most likely problem is the clock spring behind the steering wheel is broken. also check all fused... even the one on the back of the fuse panel.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean 2 cables?? do you mean 2 accelerator cables??? like the able that go the acelerator pedal>????

·
Registered
936 Posts
Right, there would be 2 of those style cables at the throttle body. One connects to the accelerator pedal, and the other connects to the cruise control system.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
This is just an example, im not sure what motor you have but this picture is of a 02 throttlebody on a Zetec

I only have 1 cable attached to the throttle body which is the accelerator.. the empty spot to the right would be where the cruise control cable would go

Ignore the Arrow this picture was used to show where the PCV Pipe (thats notorious for collapsing) is located

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where is that located, ok i was looking at my dash and the light doesent even turn on, when i put the key in the on possition

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
the clock spring is in the steering column right behind the steering wheel. you first have to remove the airbag and then the wheel, it'll be right there. you have to unplug the airbag, horn , and cruise connectors from it to remove the wheel.
Do not remove the airbag if you don't know what your doing, or at least ask someone that knows for some guidance.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
It could be like mine. The cruise cable snapped off the throttle body. I ordered a new cable and it should be in this week sometime. Easy replacement on the Dtec not sure about Ztec.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Ford service manual has a point test to pin-point the problem.

It first asks: "Does your horn work?"

If not check the clock spring (WITH CARE!)

If it does then look at the cable, fuses, the actuator (mounted on the bulkhead in the engine bay)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I got cruise on my ztec and it doesnt come on till after 45mph.Take it out and run it on the highway and try setting the control.It wont work in park or low speed its a safety feature.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Are you clicking the "ON" button first, then clicking the "SET ACCELERATOR" button right after that?

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
^^x2 and you can't set cruise under a certain speed so try it at 45+mph

·
Banned
172 Posts
i can set my cruise at 35 mph. maybe lower haven't tried it, but i kno it will come on at 35. i can even set it in neutral. did that on accident one time when i didn't have it in gear. it revved up like i floored the pedal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ yea the third brake light works perfect, but when you guys put the key in the on position the cruse light turns on like the rest of your dash light right???

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea i am i push the on button and then the set acc the cruise dosent work when im going higher than 45, i was going 70 and it aint work it dosent work at no speed or whenim in park or neutral

1 - 20 of 20 Posts