Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I installed my sterio a couple months ago and it has been working fine till just the other day. I installed a 550 watt amp and my own sub. Well it cut out and when i checked it the red light is on ( you know the one that says there is too much power and so on) well i thought maby i blew my amp so i put my old old old one in just to check and its doing the same thing so now im thinking its the wiring some where has any of you had this problum? i even unhook the cables from the deck so its just the power, ground and ant. wires and as soon as the deck is turned on and turned down it still lights the red light instead of the green light and does nothing.....any one have any advice other than ripping all the wiring out and testing it outside the car?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Unplug the rca cables and the speaker cables, does it still light red? If so it's in the amp or like detroit said, check your ground. If it is green, plug in the rca's, does it stay green? If not, bad rca's or deck output. If it stays green, hook up the speaker wire and it should go red which meens you have a shorted speaker wire or dead sub.

Good luck

Intallman

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks guys, I have never had this happen to me and i didnt want to rip out all my wires. i will try that today and let ya know what happens...thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
check the wires inside the box that lead to the speaker or the imput on the subs, sometimes they touch other stuff and gets grounded and puts too much strain on the amp... at least that is what is was for me...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm well with just the power wire and the groud wire hooked up (and the Ant.) it still lights up red. without the RCA or speeker wire hooked up. now here is the wierd thing i hooked my old amp and its doing the same thing!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep it was the ground......some how it loosened itself up...looks like im going to have to invest in some lock tight. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just grab a bottle of your girlfriends nail polish, a litle drop on the threads, works just as good. Or go to Target and buy a super cheap bottle of nail polish. I learned this trick from other techs when installing one hour photo machines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts