Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
The general opinion is that they have cheap lens and may not throw light as well as the stock housing even though these are projector style. I want to say i have read that some had issues with the halo's lasting/working properly.

They look sharp though but if excellent light output is your goal, I'd suggest retrofitting some Morimoto Mini projectors and HID's for best results

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
I would say save your money, but in the end, it's your money so you spend it how you think will be best. Personally, I wouldn't buy these. Most of the Ebay lights that I have seen have been of low quality. Issues with the lenses getting condensation in them, hazing over a few months, the gaskets around the edges deteriorating really quick, light throw is off or not very good. I mean I can keep going on and on as to why I feel these would be a bad idea to get, but I don't want to seem like a downer about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll weigh in.
I plan to buy these. I ran ebay headlights in my Mazda B2200 with Xentec HIDs and it was a low beam only kit. How was lighting?
They were brighter than my buddies E90 330i's factory HIDs on bright and brighter than my oneeighty custom lights in my E92 M3. Those were sealed beam projectors on my B2200 that I paid 40$ for. They were [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] esque bright.
I had knock off ebay headlights in my VW cabriolet. The bulbs that came with them sucked massively. With silver stars in them, unbelievable.
My Maserati has Ebay sealed beams. Extremely bright!
Moral of the story? Don't trust shoddy reviews by people that don't replace the cheap bulbs or put HIDs in mirrored housings because they're not bright.
Just my .02

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll weigh in.
I plan to buy these. I ran ebay headlights in my Mazda B2200 with Xentec HIDs and it was a low beam only kit. How was lighting?
They were brighter than my buddies E90 330i's factory HIDs on bright and brighter than my oneeighty custom lights in my E92 M3. Those were sealed beam projectors on my B2200 that I paid 40$ for. They were [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] esque bright.
I had knock off ebay headlights in my VW cabriolet. The bulbs that came with them sucked massively. With silver stars in them, unbelievable.
My Maserati has Ebay sealed beams. Extremely bright!
Moral of the story? Don't trust shoddy reviews by people that don't replace the cheap bulbs or put HIDs in mirrored housings because they're not bright.
Just my .02
Let me know how they turn out!

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Let me know how they turn out!
Do a search on here first and at fj to find people that have used them. I know i have read many posts over the years with people having issues with some of the ebay stuff. Some have been fitment issues, item not being plug and play, some with light output not being great and then others with durability/part not wearing well.

Like Don said earlier, its your money. 5mt_lx has seems to have luck with ebay housings but sounds like they went and replaced the bulbs (which is probably a good idea.) So you have good experience and bad, up to you to decide what you want to use

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Ok, let me add to that list of problems with these lights. They say plug and play? Bullshit on most accounts. All the ones with the extra LED lights and halos usually require extra wiring and the connectors most of the time do not directly plug up to the factory plug. The gaskets around the edge that touch the hood will wear out in 2-3 months guaranteed. The bulbs that are included are even more garbage than the lights themselves. I have seen many sets of these Ebay lights with burned out LEDs in the halos. Most of the ones that I have seen would either haze over really bad, which means they aren't really UV protected. I have seen condensation build up in them because they are either sealed really bad or the weep holes don't even exist on them. The light throw on most that I have seen is terrible at best. You would be better off hanging out your window with a flash light. I just can't emphasis how bad these lights are, but in the end it's going to be your money that is spent on them. Personally, I would wait around and keep an eye on the B-S-T section for someone selling a set of Hella projector headlights or the Hella Dynabeams. You can buy them used for about the same or for about $100 more than what you would be spending on this trash. You would also be getting a much better quality head light as well. The third brake light advertised with these headlights wouldn't be bad as long as it doesn't leak or have any of the LEDs burn out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts