Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '14 focus has ~800 miles on it and has an annoying rattle from the back seat area. I can't find the source of it for the life of me but it's driving us crazy! I can't find anything loose or out of place. Anyone else have this???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our '14 focus has ~800 miles on it and has an annoying rattle from the back seat area. I can't find the source of it for the life of me but it's driving us crazy! I can't find anything loose or out of place. Anyone else have this???
What does the rattling sound like? Metallic? Plastic?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Don't know of this is the problem, but check the rear seat air ducts that are under each of the front seats. They are plastic and can rattle like crazy unless insulated from the metal car body with bits of felt.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a plastic rattle I believe but not 100% sure. I'll check the vents you mentioned. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had an issue like that on mine and it ended up being one of those plastic pin screws fell out inside the bumper so this plastic was rattling

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife sits in the back with our newborn and she says it sounds like it's coming from the top of the rear drivers side seat. Maybe it's something to do with the seat fold down?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It could be. I know I just heard mine coming from the back when I'd drive. Ford tech came with me on a ride, thought it was something in the hatch and rode around in back with panels off, still couldn't get it figured out. Had an engineer take a look at it and they discovered the bumper issue. They thought it was a failed body weld at first. It was surprising because it didn't sound like it was that far back

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squad-G, that was what I first suspected so I drove around with the metal clip part up, down, taped to the seat and the noise was still there...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Squad-G, that was what I first suspected so I drove around with the metal clip part up, down, taped to the seat and the noise was still there...
Ok - May I suggest to check for a loose bulb in each dome light ? When I changed for custom LED, one of them wasn't installed properly and it felt.

I would suggest to apply pression on each object while you hear the noise. May I also suggest to check the gray trim (next to the window switch).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Squad, I need to sit in the back and investigate while my wife drives. I considered taking it to the dealer but would hate to deal with all that for a stupid rattle.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd be curious to learn what you discover, RyanFromSC. I just purchased a new 2014 SE Hatchback last week and I've had an identical rattle from the back of the car. It was a disappointment after reading about improved build quality with the Mk3s.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kaede, I will report my findings if I can find the source of the noise...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'd be curious to learn what you discover, RyanFromSC. I just purchased a new 2014 SE Hatchback last week and I've had an identical rattle from the back of the car. It was a disappointment after reading about improved build quality with the Mk3s.
If you'd like me to look into this, too, please send me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location in a PM. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Plug the seat belts into the buckles and take it for a drive. have heard the metal clips rattle against things while hanging

Old trick for noises. Get someone in the back with the cardboard tube from a kitchen roll. use this as a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. Listening through it makes your ears very directionally sensitive to narrow down the source. Mechanics stethoscope even better

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I finally had a chance to ride in the backseat and I believe the rattling is coming from a plastic trim piece that is on the pillar between the seat and roof.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think I found the cause of this rattle in my car:

It sounds like it's coming from the door or under the seat but I only hear it at high speeds. I think it's coming from the black plastic trim piece under the car (rear passenger side). It looks like there's a brake line or hose of some sort that rests on top of it and I think it rattles at high speeds. I didn't see any rocks or anything on the brake lines, but that was mentioned in another thread as well. I'll update this once I figure it out. [cheers]

Ignore the red arrows - I stole this from the Focus ST thread about jacking points. I think the rattle is coming from the black plastic in the upper left portion of the image:

·
Registered
168 Posts
My wife sits in the back with our newborn and she says it sounds like it's coming from the top of the rear drivers side seat. Maybe it's something to do with the seat fold down?
I too have an occasional, barely audible noise that I believe is coming from the drivers seat. I can induce the noise with the car off and motionless, simply by applying certain side pressure with my back to the seat.

It's not noticeable enough otherwise to bother me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts