Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had enough of my focus overheating. It has done it since the day I've owned it. I've replaced the resistor once already but its right back where it was.

I'm going to do a write up of a simple fix using a GM fan switch (works by completion of ground), a bosch relay, some wire, and an inline fuse.

I've ordered the parts so I'll do a write up when they come in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, I've heard this is an abundant problem. Same issue with my in-laws I'm driving now. Using the A/C is a quick fix but the A/C doesn't work. I have been sweltering with the windows down needless to say...

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I look forward to the write up. Subscribing!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm sorry but, proper maintenance of the cooling system goes a long ways. It's a good bet that the vast majority of problems come from either
- leaks in the system
- rust
- debris and bent cooling fins

If any of the above exist, the cooling fans will have to run longer and more frequent. That puts more stress on the resistor which shortens it's lifespan.
You have to solve the root of the problem or you'll never get anywhere.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
X2 iminhell. They call it a cooling system. You have to approach it as a system. Your system is now 11-12 years old? How much gunk in the block, rad etc. We have all had cars that overheat (well, some of us anyway). You just gotta replace parts after a while.

·
Registered
220 Posts
is this thread referring to when they overheat from sitting in one spot for two long? because both of my foci overheat if they idle in one spot for more than 5 minutes or if i'm going under 15-20 mph for an amount of time (like driving through a neighborhood)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Yes, it would be applicable. Let me give you a benchmark. Sitting in my 07 (less than 20K), with the A/C on and it's 102 outside (last week in fact). My temp gauge does not budge, not even a little bit. The Aux fan is running. If I turn off the A/C, the Aux fan shuts off within 60 seconds. Cannot comment if the Aux fan runs when I am moving as I can not hear it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, it would be applicable. Let me give you a benchmark. Sitting in my 07 (less than 20K), with the A/C on and it's 102 outside (last week in fact). My temp gauge does not budge, not even a little bit. The Aux fan is running. If I turn off the A/C, the Aux fan shuts off within 60 seconds. Cannot comment if the Aux fan runs when I am moving as I can not hear it.
i've tried this on my 2000 as well as my 2001 and the a/c did not work, also when i hear the fans turn on in the 2000 the temperature keeps rising

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, it's subjective, but depending on how often the fluid has been flushed over the years, it is possible that you have 50% loss of cooling capability due to corrosion in the radiator itself. A 'power flush' as offered by many drive through oil change outlets (as an example) will not fix this. And you cannot 'boil' a newer style radiator as they used to do as the newer ones have plastic tanks. therefore, your stuck with replacement and hope that was the problem. FYI: be leary of rebuilt rads , and a used one would just be a waste of time IMHO.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, it's subjective, but depending on how often the fluid has been flushed over the years, it is possible that you have 50% loss of cooling capability due to corrosion in the radiator itself. A 'power flush' as offered by many drive through oil change outlets (as an example) will not fix this. And you cannot 'boil' a newer style radiator as they used to do as the newer ones have plastic tanks. therefore, your stuck with replacement and hope that was the problem. FYI: be leary of rebuilt rads , and a used one would just be a waste of time IMHO.
you sir, are a genius.[pray]

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
That is not genius. That is experience. After a while you start to catch on that the cheapest route is to replace. Don't forget your heater core while you doing it. Also, there was a product at one time that allowed you to hook up a garden hose to the block. I have no details though.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Far as cleaning the gunk out. You can try draining some coolant and adding white Vinegar. Bring the car up to operating temp and let it circulate for a while.

It might of just been a fluke but I'd got the idea from how my mom keeps rust out of the tea pots. When I tried it in the car it seemed to work pretty damn good. I mean the coolant, which was just water, came out orange and chunky. I actually drove with it in the system for a day.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
JUST IMHO. I have never liked the thought of using something like vinegar or other cleaning agent as you partially dissolve or dislodge the buildup, and it goes where? It is going to accumulate wherever there is a constriction (normally). And anything strong enough to liquify that crud is going to have a field day with the bits you prob don't want to be messed with.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
That is generally why you back flush the system. And if people would do regular maintenance big chunks and risk of debris wouldn't be common, or shouldn't.

For someone who hasn't taken care of the car and has been running water straight from the Mississippi, I'm not sure what to do. In those cases something stronger is probably needed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
is this thread referring to when they overheat from sitting in one spot for two long? because both of my foci overheat if they idle in one spot for more than 5 minutes or if i'm going under 15-20 mph for an amount of time (like driving through a neighborhood)
this happens to me all the timeee esp if i get off the highway and then drive around to drop some one off stop and let them out i have to put the heat on full blast [mad]

·
Registered
574 Posts
That is not genius. That is experience. After a while you start to catch on that the cheapest route is to replace. Don't forget your heater core while you doing it. Also, there was a product at one time that allowed you to hook up a garden hose to the block. I have no details though.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7690003

but it requires u to cut a hose and put in a T adapter i used it before i replaced my lower radiator hose and cut the old one flushed it then put in the new hose and i still overheaded a week later

i got it in a kit with a small jug of peak flush and 2 galons of antifreeze concentrate

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Ya. Like that. Although when I used it ( a very long time ago). You poured this solution into the radiator, then you started the car (with the cap off) and let it get as warm as possible. You had to make sure it was circulating, so some engine reving was required. Then you shut off the engine and let it sit. Overnight if you were brave. Then you flushed it out using the tool like hockeyfreek42 posted above. About 2 to 7 days later, you put in radiator stop leak because you now had about a half dozen pinhole leaks. And when that did not work, you went and bought a new radiator, hoses, heater core etc.
Ahh! the 'good ole days'.

·
Registered
574 Posts
yeah the peak flush i used required driving for 3-6 hours

but with my problem once you turn on the heat the temp goes back down
the rad fans are allways on super high u hear them miles away so its not like their not working idk what the problem is before any road trips im gunna need to replace the rediatator and see how that goes and prolly heater core also
anyone got a how-2 lol
mabee fans and waterpump depending how im feeling that day

anyone ever see an all aluminum radiatoir without thoes cheezy plastic caps on the sides

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
yeah the peak flush i used required driving for 3-6 hours

but with my problem once you turn on the heat the temp goes back down
the rad fans are allways on super high
That sounds like classic plugged up radiator. The only 'all aluminum' rads that I know of are NASCAR or similair racing types (and very expensive). Hence, just get a new radiator and be done with it. Also, don't forget to check and change your hoses if warrrented. If the hoses feel spongy then there due.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts