Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my wheels and tires, they are 215, 40 series 18 inchers. I want to lower it and I've settled on a H&R spring kit but I don't know whether to go with 1.4" or 2.0"

I'd rather keep it higher if possible but I don't want much wheel gap. I also don't want to get into a camber kit if necessary, however, I will if that's what is going to look good. Unfortunately the wheels & tires aren't on the car yet so I can't measure the gap, I was hoping someone had some experience here.

My goals are to have a nice looking stance to the car, there will be a body kit on it in a few months as soon as I do some more research. Don't plan to AutoX, it's just my dialy commuter that's going to look sweet and be quick. My thoughts are that 2.0" drop will start a new series of headaches and I'd rather not endure if a 1.4" will look good.

Any thoughts? Experience? Lessons learned?

Thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
246 Posts
probably the 1.4" inch because you are going to rub if you go any lower.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
you better becareful. 40 size tire doesnt hold up the weight compacity of the focus, ESP on 18's

i had 205-40-17 on my front rims and 205-45-17 on the back.. the front ones blew in a matter of months. brand new to... i thought it might have been the railroad tracks i was going over.. so i called tirerack and tried to order some and they wouldnt sell me anything in the 40 series. so i called back again.. different person, but said the same thing.. so i thougth well 3rd time is the charm.. and got the same response.. so becareful!

- now to answer your qeustion.. i would go with a 2" drop.... you shouldnt need to adjust your camber toe, and if you need to it wont be by much. i have a 2 inch drop and i just got some new tires put on and they said that my wheel alignment and camber was fine.

edit- can a mod please move this to the correct forum? thankyou

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops, sorry, I'm new to this and didn't see the other forums below - specifically the one that says Wheels & Tires :-( My bad, wish I could move it myself

Anyhow, thank you for the information. I had the same fear about putting 40 series tires on there but decided to give it a shot anyhow. I did, however, go with a nice Yokohama Parada tire (http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=17) vs. the TireRack special (Kumho). I'm confident that Yokohama will back a 40 series against colapsing on a Ford Focus.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just did some math. The diameter of the stock wheels and tires (205-50/16) is 24.07". The diameter of the new wheels and tires (215-40/18) is 24.77". That's quite a bit of a difference, I didn't realize it was that much.

FYI, there is a cool website for checking that out (http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html)

I also measured the tire gap now and it's 2-7/8". Keeping in mind that only 1/2 of the new wheel/tire combo is going to be using wheel well and leaving some margin for error I image the tire gap will be 2.25" when done with the new wheels. A 2" drop would bring it almost down to the wheel height.

The tires are tucked pretty good so normal driving wouldn't be bad, but any cornering at speed would most likely rub. My thinking tells me that the 1.4" is going to be plenty, that would leave < 1" gap after complete. Even with that I hope the new springs are stiffer.

hmmmm ... 18's are gonna be sweet, but I wonder if it's too much, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts