Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Your Hatchback rear wiper holder might be broken from the factory!!

So, I just picked up my focus from the dealer for what turned out to be a radiator repair due to a hairline fracture somewhere after only 2500km and then went to fill up the gas since I was almost on empty, and when I went to clean the rear windshield, I lifted up the wiper arm for the first time ever and <kerplunk>, my wiper is lying on the ground!

At first, I thought maybe I somehow had hit some secret 'release' mechanism and then I thought oh this must just be how it's designed for easy replacement but then I took a closer look. It appears that part of the small (or at least whatever is left of it appears to be small) plastic arm tip that hooks into the wiper 'pin' was cracked/cracked off??!!!! I don't know if that happened today or on initial delivery or if this was broken off from the factory by whoever attached the wiper to the arm (leaning towards this one) but I'm not exactly thrilled because this probably means I'm going to have to pay for a replacement wiper arm and I haven't even had good enough weather to wash the car yet!!!
[?|]

Grrrrrr

Does anyone have a closeup picture of what the portion which attaches to the rear wiper should look like when fully intact? (I would ask that someone take their wiper off to take that picture but I'm afraid that maybe this plastic is really flimsy and you might end up braking yours too, so a picture with the wiper still in it is fine).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If your dealer is halfway reputable you won't have to pay. That's really unfortunate and most likely as you said an overlooked poor installation from the factory.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it since there's now way to prove that it's not customer-inflicted damage to claim for warranty but I'll only know when the part actually comes in I guess ...

I should note, the dealer I'm going to is not the one I factory ordered from (they're 4 hrs away in T.O.) but I'm trying to make Sterling my goto dealer by giving them the free warranty work for the cracked radiator repair.

Sadly, it probably came like this from the factory but the reality is that nobody would know to check that (dealer or myself) on delivery/inspection (heck I'm the one that found the two spots that had paint chips/missing on the car when I was picking up the car, so if they missed that I can't expect them to find a broken rear wiper holder).

As a heads-up, anyone taking delivery of a new hatchback, should lift up the arm and make sure the wiper is secured in the wiper arm, in case this part has been made flimsily or if there's a very heavy-handed individual working the assembly line.

Is your dealer going to do it free? Should it not be covered. I know it's not much but still.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just found that my rear hatchback wiper arm is also broken. The part that clips on the wiper is actually broken. I will take it to the dealer to see if they can order a new one to fix it or else the wiper might fall off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The arm on the new focus actually doesn't allow the wiper to fully pull away from the window... it only comes away a little bit for cleaning the glass and replacing the blade. I noticed this the first day. It was the same with the edge wiper I had on my 05. Kinda sucks that you can't pull the wiper blade away from the glass any further.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts