Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally bought another Focus, 2003 zx3.

And not until recently have noticed that the hatch release button does not work, it has manual locks but I don't know if that matters or not. Are there any common problems with it? Any easy fixes?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Switch can be disassembled & cleaned (alcohol swab).

Some have modified it to press together firmer (prev. threads on cutting button).

I cleaned it a few times then replaced.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Place a wire into the connetor to simulate a button press and if the door opens then your problem is the button. Also could use a volt meter to test the button.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The hatch release button will not work on some Foci if the motor is running, and/or if the transmission is in gear. Safety/liability issue, would be my guess. Such is not the case with my '04 SVT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE;
I got really pissed at the button and punched it, it is now working.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Hey theaquagod, have you hit the switch with a baseball bat yet? Hammer works too. Hell, even a firm punch or kick.
What? I guess no one hears me?

Glad you got it working again. Rock solid fix.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am wondering if a car with manual locks is supposed to have a functional hatch release button?

Anyway, yes, Common Problem on that is; (1) the button itself fails (2) wiring damage inside rubber boot between car body and hatch door.

Check this thread post #5
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323413

I have manual everything and my hatch button works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey theaquagod, have you hit the switch with a baseball bat yet? Hammer works too. Hell, even a firm punch or kick.

Thanks man, sometimes things just need a good thumping.

·
Registered
753 Posts
thts what she said

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had the same issue with my 04 ZX3 and just hit the button hard and it started to work as designed.
Repeated testing proves this method works!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I had the same problem with my 05 ZX3. I started to take the dash apart to get at the button and came up with the idea of spraying the outside of the button with some Corrosion X, with enough that it worked its way inside and cured the problem. I'm pretty sure WD40 would work also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts