Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the essay...2005 ZX5 has been having some issues. A few months ago, my hatch decided it didn't want to open, either with the actual key or the hatch release, so I replaced the latch mechanism and was able to use the key in the hatch, but the electric release (both on the dash and the FOB) still weren't working. Next, my rear wiper decided to stop working. This motivated me to try to fix the problem since it's getting cold and rainy in northern CA right now, so I checked the fuses and, behold, the hatch release and wiper fuses wre both blown. Replaced them, and all was good...for a few days until they both blew again. First to go was the hatch release; then, when I used the rear wiper, it would pop the hatch too, until it stopped working as well. Now the defroster isn't working and, since I understand that the rear brake light is on this circuit as well, I assume it'll be next to go.

I've been repairing my own cars for as long as I've been driving, but I'm fairly ignorant in the electrical department so this one has me stumped [?|] I checked the wires in the rubber boot connecting the hatch to the body and didn't see anything out of the ordinary (although now I can't reconnect the base of the rubber boot to the car...hope that's not making the problem worse).

Car only has 54K miles, but I park it outside. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
433 Posts

This is what my wiring looked like at 69k miles. If its not that I'm sure someone on here can help. That wiring harness is apparently a weak point. Honestly I'm not a pro at this. I found it and my brother (he's more technical) tore it all apart and fixed it.
When mine went as soon as the key was in the on position it popped the hatch. Truck release no longer works because the motor burned out so I'm stuck using the key. Everything else is fine though.

Sent from my Desire HD

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
... now I can't reconnect the base of the rubber boot to the car...
Just to add my $0.02, the above statement would indicate to me you haven't looked at that hatch wiring spot thoroughly enough. In the pic posted by Focus_ZX5_SES, you can see that you pretty well need to pull out both the hard plastic bit mounted in the hatch and the rubber boot to get a really good look.
And by completely pulling out the hard plastic bit, installation is easier; repair wiring as necessary, position the boot over the plastic bit and then shove the plastic bit back in the hole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts