Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this in several threads about oil changes with no response, and I am starting a thread since there are several members following the new recommended oil change schedule. Seems like there is quite a few members over 10,000 miles on their 2012 Focus that should be able to answer this question.

Anyone over 10,000 miles on the oil change-----did your oil monitor alert you?

I don't think any members on this forum have posted that they have had the "change oil" message.

I would like to know if it's working or not....but the stats don't look good so far. I have 9,600 miles on mine and no alert.

·
Registered
201 Posts
/subscribes. I've asked a few times, too. This is the only car I've seen with an OLM that doesn't have a way to see the current status (i.e. 50% oil life remaining).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am at 8270 miles, and was coming here to check this as well. I stopped in to get it changed today, but their air compressor broke while waiting, so they sent me on my way, made an appointment for Thursday morning, by then I hold be just over 8500. I'll get the tires rotated at the same time.

Still no oil life indicator though...

While there I finally saw anouther Frosted Glass focus, until today the only one I had seen since I bought it two months ago was my own.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Staturn had this as well, After I had about 150K KM on it, I started waiting for the Oil Life Monitor to tell when to change it. Usually a little over 10,000KM, it would come on. I was also using synthetic oil.
Having said that, my dealer did say that although the light wouldn't come on till around 10,000KM, they recommend sticking to the scheduled maintenance, 8000km, which is what I plan to do... for now.

And, what is the Frosted Glass??? Haven't seen/heard of this before.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
and a great color it is! (I may be biased!)
Glad to see someone else with one. I love the color and how is contrast with the black trim. Not alot of them on the road, my wife who was always walking up to any black car with my old focus thinking it was mine, hasn't made that mistake once with the new car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
LOL, Thanks, have never seen that colour before. Nice.
It looks more ice blue there, as it does under street lighting. Under daylight it looks mure teal / sea foam green. It is actually a color that seems hard to photograph accurately.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: No oil change message for me at 10K miles. There are about 4 members including me that have posted at 10K with the same result.

Seems like we are starting to see a pretty strong trend here as people are getting more miles on their Focus. There needs to be an investegation opened by Ford to figure this out since it's impossible for dealers to diagnose with such long periods between oil changes.

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ that
determines when the engine oil should be changed based on how your
vehicles is used. By using several important factors in its calculations,
the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce
environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to
remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets
you know when an oil change is due by displaying ENGINE OIL
CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the message center. The
following table is intended to provide examples of vehicle use and its
impact on engine oil change intervals; it is provided as a guideline only.
Actual engine oil change intervals will depend on several factors and will
generally decrease with severity of use.
When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message

Miles (km) Vehicle use and examples:

7500-10000
(12000-16000)
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling

5000-7499
(8000-11999)
Severe
– Moderate to heavy load/towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation

3000-4999
(4000-7999)
Extreme
– Maximum load/towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation

·
Registered
712 Posts
/subscribes. I've asked a few times, too. This is the only car I've seen with an OLM that doesn't have a way to see the current status (i.e. 50% oil life remaining).
You are right that THAT is a concern. I wonder if it is possible to see values it is tracking with a diagnostic tool? Obviously the computer is tracking values. But, does it require some obscure debug mode to access these values??

As csvt2060 said, I wish someone at Ford would look into this. I was in another thread where Natasha (Ford Rep) asked a couple users if they reported their "non-notification" to the Ford dealer doing the oil change. It appeared they did not. I think what she was getting at is that if no-one having this issue (high miles -no indicator) reported it to their dealer to investigate, that the issue is not going to be handled. Or at least that is what I read into it. If someone is taking their Focus in with around 10K miles and no oil change message, they need to push the service department to look into this (and maybe PM Natasha) if they are not getting real answers.

Thread where Natasha asked about issue:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272850&page=5

Ford is not going to take action until they have a car (in hand) in this state and can investigate. Someone needs to "take one for the team." That is, be willing to do without their car for a few more hours (or a day or two) to get this looked at. (Most owners won't have the time or energy on an issue that does no effect the car's performance directly.)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Doesn't the "Vehicle Health Report" show oil life remaining or something similar like next expected oil change?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just did a "Vehicle Health Report", you must have the car running as well as having your phone connected. I than viewed the report online via computer and as far as what it actually told me was that each category was ok, i.e. engine, brakes, fluids. It doesn't give you any actual figures.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I just did a "Vehicle Health Report", you must have the car running as well as having your phone connected. I than viewed the report online via computer and as far as what it actually told me was that each category was ok, i.e. engine, brakes, fluids. It doesn't give you any actual figures.
I'm shopping, not yet an owner. Could have sworn I saw somewhere else in this forum notifications that the next oil change was expected in xxxxx miles. Is the health report configurable? This is actually kind of a big deal for me - I'd like to able to anticipate when changes or due or at least how quickly the monitor thinks the oil is aging.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I thought a different thread indicated this report showed and expected next service mileage? Is the health report configurable? Or is the estimated next service date simply based on the 10,000 maximum?

Not being able to see how the oil life is progressing seems really odd.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I thought a different thread indicated this report showed and expected next service mileage? Is the health report configurable? Or is the estimated next service date simply based on the 10,000 maximum?

Not being able to see how the oil life is progressing seems really odd.
My vehicle health report service estimate is consistently counting down from 20,000. Right now I'm due for service in 13,677 miles. I have 6200 miles on my car...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went on to the web @ sync my ride site and looked at the maintenance scheduled and it said 20K miles before the oil change is required. Don't like that answer at all.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I went on to the web @ sync my ride site and looked at the maintenance scheduled and it said 20K miles before the oil change is required. Don't like that answer at all.
In other words, the vehicle health report is essentially worthless. So is the oil life monitor I guess as it seems to alert no one. Lots of technology offering no appreciable benefit. GM seems brilliant by comparison.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts