Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Northbound and heading home on 95 from south beach after a nice ride on my bike it started to rain out......now bear in mind this is on freshly paved black asphalt which we all know is slick as a button when it gets wet....anyway following behind this white acura teg in the fast lane of a 5 lane hwy some MORON in a gold toyota camry decides to spin out and come straight for the acura....Now bear in mind I'm about 2 maybe 2 and half car lengths behind the acura when I see this happen...theres a blue like 2000ish ford taurus behind me about less then 2 car lengths behind riding my ass, so anyway here this ding bat comes across three lanes from the center lane take out the front of the acura bear in mind this is all happening in slow motion to me so I think I downshift to 4th and get on the brakes hard I look in my rearview mirror and I see the taurus start to lock up so I left off and gun it to get out of his way. The reason why I say I think is because it all happened so fast I was relying on my driver training I mean the whole thing was a blur. Any way so I pull over on the far left shoulder cause remember we are in the fast lane and there he goes taking off on us one of the witnesses took off after the idiot in the gold camry and managed to get his tag but I dont see how he managed to drive off I didnt see the damage to the other car I did see the damage to the acura thought, The driver of the acura thanked me for hanging around. Had I not had my new kuhmo's on I probably would'nt have been able to stop, I think it was 50% driver skill and 50% car I'm so proud of my little focus the way it handled it! I would have been soooo pissed had the taurus hit my bike! LOL AND HERE IS THE WHITE ACURA TEG

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
I had a similar scenario. Long story short. Lady in front came to a fast hault to turn left, no blinker, lady behind first lady locked up, buddy infront of me in a 96 GMC truck locked up, I was on his ass but reacted quickly and cut left. My Kumhos im on now, Esta AST, helped me moved around his truck into safety... I also think my Coilovers had par to play also. Buddy behind me almost rear ended my buddies truck tho. He's also in a foci with Goodyear GTs..

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i had a similar experience on i95 here in PA. i was ab;e to avoid an accident and also avoid the flying debris from the accident. it was like autocross on 95. lol.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have had an experience like that but I am on crappy Triangle Chinese tires, haha. With no ABS night I add.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
i had a similar experience on i95 here in PA. i was ab;e to avoid an accident and also avoid the flying debris from the accident. it was like autocross on 95. lol.

Oh boy, I bet you had a hell of Adrenalin going on when this happen.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Same kind of thing for me, but I was using the stock tires...and wasn't able to stop fast enough. Two cars in front of me slammed on the brakes, and the SUV in front of me ended up slamming into the original brake-slammer. This meant the SUV went from 30 to 0 instantly (we WERE all going about 75 originally). It was at that point that I realized I couldn't stop as fast as the SUV did without hitting it, so I had to swerve off the road. Luckily for me, I missed everything. It was the first time I had ever stalled out my car (because let me tell you, I was all on the brake and not a single thought about getting the clutch in). So much adrenaline that I barely remember leaving the scene of the accident. Yeesh.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Im pretty sure that my fswerks upper stress bar helped out big time with my incident

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
I know my suspension parts helped me out on avoiding my friends Rear end of his GMC truck.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
you got lucky, how dicey are these cars to handle with no abs?
Mine has no ABS but I can't lock up the wheels and it stops perfectly.
So not very dicey unless it's snow/ice I suppose

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
Last Friday, I was headed home from work, driving on surface streets heading for I-5. Was just about to enter an intersection where I turn right; had the green light in my favor, and I was about to enter the turn at between 25-30 mph (no one in front of me, so I didn’t need to touch the brakes to set up for the turn).

A cop (lights, no siren) came blasting through the red light from the right (intersection’s view is blocked in that direction with foliage), making a left in front of me. I hit the brakes hard enough to engage the ABS and managed to avoid t-boning his driver’s door by a few feet. He gave me a dirty look; I gave him a surprised one back. We each went on our way, no harm, no foul. Credit where due to the factory 215/45-17 Kumhos; thank goodness the pavement was dry or the story would have ended very differently!

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
yeah, these Kuhmos arent the best. ill probably go goodyear or michelin soon

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the stock kh16's arent the best....however if you upgrade to high performance summer rubber......especially if you live in our southern climate then you'll defiently be impressed, I know some of you dont thought so you need all seasons or at least have 2 sets of rims so when the weather gets nice all you gotta do is swap out LOL.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
you got lucky, how dicey are these cars to handle with no abs?
As long as you can avoid panicking and slamming on the brakes causing lockup, it doesn't really matter whether you have ABS or not. But it's easier said than done.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have an S with no ABS and the brakes are very easy to modulate. I bet I can brake quicker than one with abs since I actually know how to drive, haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts