Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I REALLY love the look of the new redesigned 2015 Focus SE hatchback, but
im VERY reluctant about buying with all the complaints about the automatic transmission issues that have plagued the Focus.

Does anyone know or can confirm that Ford has FINALLY resolved this issue
for the 2015 model year? Or would it still be very risky purchase?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The short answer is yes.

Oil seals (that previously leaked) have been redesigned.
The clutch assembly has been redesigned.
The firmware is so much better than it was a few years ago.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
The short answer is yes.

Oil seals (that previously leaked) have been redesigned.
The clutch assembly has been redesigned.
The firmware is so much better than it was a few years ago.
This is all true for MY14 and maybe even MY13 1/2 isn't it?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well i dont know if it's true for all the '14 or not but i know it is true for my '14. my trannsmission has none of the problems people have mentioned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Better safe than sorry - make sure you test drive it, and when you do - make sure you will try it cold and hot, slow and fast (usually the slow and careful take off while car is hot is the issue point).

Mine was and still is OK.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i have a July Build '14, picked up in August. the car seems fine to me, there is some slight 'lurching' when at very low speeds, 1 to 2nd gear, but other than that its fine. Then again i only have 2300~ miles for the past 6 months, but it seems like it has improved since when I first started driving it. Still in the break-in period I guess.

Is this what you other '14 guys experience or even smoother?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was kinda feathering it for the first 1-2k miles, it was just a bit 'lurching' as well. Once I decided that the break-in is done (at least the careful part) and begun driving it a bit more aggressive everything became perfect.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi,

I REALLY love the look of the new redesigned 2015 Focus SE hatchback, but
im VERY reluctant about buying with all the complaints about the automatic transmission issues that have plagued the Focus.

Does anyone know or can confirm that Ford has FINALLY resolved this issue
for the 2015 model year? Or would it still be very risky purchase?

Thanks!
If I was you I would wait until you see some feedback on this board. I had a 2012 and I have watched hopeful posts here about the 2013, then hopeful posts about the 2014 and now here we are in 2015. You have read enough here to know you don't want to "hope" its better now then end up like so many other folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your thoughts! I will not be ready to purchase until late summer, so I have time to hopefully see feedback from recent 2015 owners. I LOVE my little 2013 Civic EX, but I really
want a hatchback so I can put my bike in the back instead of on a trunk mounted car rack! So I will be looking at the 2015 Focus SE hatchback.

I really love the new conservative, more grown up look of the new exterior front and how they cleaned up the center console to look for conservative .

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'll let you know in 30,000km. Just had my 2013 clutch pack replaced with the latest everything. Drives a dream now, really stoked. If the tapering off of complaints on the forum could be used as an indication it appears the latest fixes are working when done by a skilled mechanic. That said there are still many hundreds cycling through their warranties to get fixes (ie. I had to wait 2 months for the parts just to come in, like many others) ... I agree just hoping isn't going to do you any favours, but I'm more on the positive perspective as of now.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Nice! glad everything is working good for you!

·
Registered
185 Posts
My advice, keep the Civic and use your fold down rear seats. All you need to do is to keep a wrench around so you can remove and add back your front wheel. You are going to need to do that any way if you were to get a Focus.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll let you know in 30,000km. Just had my 2013 clutch pack replaced with the latest everything. Drives a dream now, really stoked. If the tapering off of complaints on the forum could be used as an indication it appears the latest fixes are working when done by a skilled mechanic. That said there are still many hundreds cycling through their warranties to get fixes (ie. I had to wait 2 months for the parts just to come in, like many others) ... I agree just hoping isn't going to do you any favours, but I'm more on the positive perspective as of now.
Curious when you got your seals and clutch pack done, did they include the part number iwth the rev letter on the invoice or no? I'm picking up the car today and the girl mentioned it does not include rev numbers, just part numbers?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I agree with you that complaints here are tapering down. Hopefully the latest fixes are being widely distributed and everyone can enjoy the pure fun of a DCT that is running right. In my opinion, running right, a human would be hard pressed to manually shift faster.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I picked up a 15 yesterday as a commuter and im almost angry at how well the dct in it caters to ur input lol. I also have a 12 which ive been through hell and back and with. The final clutch pack and seal replacement (4th), even have that one shifting very well. I did feel the tiny shudder in the 15 that comes with the "break in" So if ya plan on waiting a bit, i will keep you updated with whatever happens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I picked up a 15 yesterday as a commuter and im almost angry at how well the dct in it caters to ur input lol. I also have a 12 which ive been through hell and back and with. The final clutch pack and seal replacement (4th), even have that one shifting very well. I did feel the tiny shudder in the 15 that comes with the "break in" So if ya plan on waiting a bit, i will keep you updated with whatever happens.
Wow, surprised you would go with another focus if you went through 4 replacements on your 12

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I wish you all the best of course, but am surprised you would buy another one if you had already been thru so much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it has more to do with the fact that my service department never treated me like crap and they admitted there was an issue. Also at this point my 12 drives very well and i figured they had 4 years to get it ironed out so i have faith in them. Its a lease to own so if it becomes a crap hole i will be in a rental because its under warranty or i will tell them to kiss my you know what in 3 years when it comes time to buy.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
^^^ If that doesn't show how important the 'Dealer experience' is IDK what would!

G/L with both, here's to no more troubles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts