Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it?
How hard will it be?
Can you still install the stock shield after wrapping?(Leaving screw holes open)
Does it reduce under hood heat to a significant level?

Reason i'm asking is because I ordered 150ft @ a great discounted price, mainly to wrap my pipes on my bike.
That I know i'm going to do for multiple reasons, but on my baby SVT, i'm wondering if it's worth it or not.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Seen it done, but they say because the header sits so low to the ground that water from rain gets in there...and also moisture, and will cause the header to rust.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well mine is rusted already, and if I'm not mistaken, every single one of them will, because of where it is located.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
wrap it, youll be suprised at how much it reduces underhood temps. dont worry about the shield, you wont need it. also, dont worry about the water thing, the exhaust temps evaporate it quick...you have to soak the wrap before you put it on anyways so itll shrink.
worth the time if you ask me

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have the wrap just need some low profile metal braces, and some safety wire in intervals.
This sunday i'll probably get around doing it, gotta do my front suspension first, since i did the rear today.
Remind me to take some pictures.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I bought my wrap a while back but haven't gotten around to putting it on yet. I also find it hard to believe that the header wrap would make the header rust more- if anything I would think it would probably help protect the header by restricting the amount of oxygen getting to it's surface.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
sweet, we dont get rust here, so if thats my only concern I may consider it this summer cause it gets damn hot here and I'd like to reduce engine compartment temps if I can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
where do u get the wrap from

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't own an SVT, but I have an SVT header and I wrapped my header and haven't had any problems with it. I actually put about 7-8 coats of high temp grill rust-convert paint on the header before I painted it and it has done a very good job. The wrap has had no ill effect from water hitting it.

And to answer your question about the heat shield working. I assume it would if you left the peg holes open. It is just a pain to put it on after the header is on the motor. I think it requires dropping the fans or something like that.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey for you guys that have had yours jet coated, They coat the inside and the outside dont they?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
Hey for you guys that have had yours jet coated, They coat the inside and the outside dont they?
Yup, giving the gasses a nice smooth surface to quickly move over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts