Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand it's only a low percentage of people who experience the problem I have where my car (PowerShift automatic) is prone to shaking/shuddering at idle and at low speeds (can anyone confirm that for me?).

And furthermore, I've seen people post here that their car started out doing this but it went away after 1000mi or less.

Well I'm right around 1000mi and this problem hasn't gone away for me. My car was in last week for something else - I mentioned it and the service guy just kinda shrugged it off.

Definitely going to make them look at it regardless, but I want to know: has anyone with this problem actually gotten it fixed? Could I possibly get some insight on what exactly the problem turned out to be? Something to tell the service guys?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine does it at times as well, especially in stop and go freeway situations. I haven't had my dealer look at it yet, but I will. As far as the going away with miles, I have 9k miles on mine it's still there.

I don't know whether it's just a quirk of the automated manual transmission or if it's something that can be and should be solved. I often wonder about this issue and the other transmission issues, where some people report them and are bothered, others report them and say it's just normal and others say they don't see them at all. It would be interesting for someone who does experience them and someone who doesn't to take each other's car for short drive and see what they report.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most of it is due to the tuning. In order to get the most MPG's the engine stays at the lowest possible RPM, especially during idle. Thats why you feel it shake due to the inbalance in the engine at low RPM, then the computer will correct itself and rev a little to balance it out. The other problem is with the tuning of the transmission. During stop and go driving, the tranny wants to hurry up and change to a higher gear when you're giving it gas, even when you don't nessasarilly want to change to a higher gear. Then it switchs back down, rather ungracefully, when you slow down or brake. More fine tuning is needed by ford. It needs a dedicated ECO mode in my opinion.

·
Registered
588 Posts
More fine tuning is needed by ford.
I completely agree. This would be my only complaint about the transmission.

I also believe that a lot of people are mistaking normal operating quirks of the powershift transmission as indications that something is wrong. It's not a torque convertor based automatic, it doesn't work like one, so it doesn't sound or act like one. This is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Many have posted on this and the concensus is that a higher octane fuel is a possible remedy. Try using 89 octane. Mine shuddered really bad, tried 89 octane and it's run smooth ever since.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When did you get your car? And how many miles were on it when you took delivery?

If it was before July the shuddering will work itself out as you put more miles on the car.

The trans plant (in Brazil) used the wrong break-in compound which is the major source of why the trans seems so quirky.

The reason I asked how many miles were on the car when you took delivery, was that the solution was to have employees drive the car for about 50 miles around the test track to wear the clutches in a little. The 50 mile thing was because Ford can't sell a car as new if it has over 100 miles on it.

Oh, and the wrong break-in compound does not negatively affect the lifecycle of the dual-clutch design. The compound was just a little to "sticky" for that type of design.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When did you get your car? And how many miles were on it when you took delivery?

If it was before July the shuddering will work itself out as you put more miles on the car.

The trans plant (in Brazil) used the wrong break-in compound which is the major source of why the trans seems so quirky.

The reason I asked how many miles were on the car when you took delivery, was that the solution was to have employees drive the car for about 50 miles around the test track to wear the clutches in a little. The 50 mile thing was because Ford can't sell a car as new if it has over 100 miles on it.

Oh, and the wrong break-in compound does not negatively affect the lifecycle of the dual-clutch design. The compound was just a little to "sticky" for that type of design.
What if it was after July? Have about 950 miles and it still does it.

Also not that I don't believe you but is there any written data to confirm your statement about a break-in compound?

Montana

·
Registered
395 Posts
I personally think this is the actual design of the car and normal operation.

But having said that, I noticed it in my car for the first 3 weeks.... I'm at 1300 mi now and I don't even notice it at all.

Either I am used to it that I don't notice it when I drive and it actually still exists... or it is completely gone from my car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What if it was after July? Have about 950 miles and it still does it.

Also not that I don't believe you but is there any written data to confirm your statement about a break-in compound?

Montana
Not written data, but how about eyewitness accounts. I have both friends and relatives who work for the company, and they were picking up righteous OT Driving these cars around the test track.

If you went down Rotunda over to the Southfield Fwy during June and early July you would have seen the sea of 2012 Foci overflowing into the Greenfield Village parking lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine has done it since day one... Now at 1800 miles and using higher octane gas it's noticeably better but still there... Before using higher octane fuel it was really bad when I'd have multiple passengers in the car with me... I haven't had three people in the car lately so I'll report back... I must admit it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Sarg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.760340,-95.362533

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think people are talking about 2 things here.

#1 is the shutter/shake when you take the foot off the brake from a stop and before you press the accelerator. Also slowing down, right before you stop it shutters. This is the point the clutches engage/disengage as the trans goes into neutral at a stop.

#2 is general shift quality of the transmission, more noticable in 1st or 2nd gear, the transmission is jerky or sensitive to dramatic changes in accelerator pedal application, which is inherent in a manual transmission, and is inherent here with an automated manual.

I think that I, like most people are experiencing #1 which Ford says will get better as the car is broken in (clutches wearing in). Some of us have not experienced better operation after 5,000 miles or more, which in my opinion is not normal.

on #2, learning how to drive the car differently (like a manual trans), and giving the "adaptive transmission" strategy time to learn your habits (that Natasha is posting) may alleviate the #2 issue.

My car has always shifted well, but has had the shutter problem at startup.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My issue is like csvt2060 posted in #1 but happens when you do step on the throttle from a stop, It is worse when there is a grade involved. After the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd I won't feel the shudder until I come to a stop and start back off again. Sitting in stop and go traffic it gets a little tiring to feel that shudder.

I have heard rumor of Ford having a reprogram available but I haven't heard of anyone that actually had it done. Don't know if it would help the shudder issue anyway as the shifting is fine just the engagement sucks.

Montana

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have over 5000 miles now and the only time it shudders is when I am stopping (sometimes) or when starting slow when cold (like when in the early morning). Other than that, it is very smooth! [8D]

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
...and giving the "adaptive transmission" strategy time to learn your habits.
The Adaptive Learning function of the TCM (Transmission Control Module) doesn't learn anything about the driver, rather it learns about the transmission (specifically the sensors, shift drum, and clutches).

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If anyone is interested, there is a new TSB (published 9/13/11) that specifically addresses this concern.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awesome! I have been waiting for Ford to acknowledge and address this issue. Where can I find this TSB!? Or can you write what it says here?
It will probably say, "Problem there is no stinking problems just whining customers" Tell them it is normal and if they don't like it tell them to hit the road and buy something else. Bunch of sissy's they expect to spend over 20,000 and have no problems. Don't you all realize we are Ford and we can build them however we decide and call it normal cause we made them.

Obviously I am making fun of the issue and yes I have the issue myself, But seriously I hope it will address the problem.

Montana

1 - 20 of 164 Posts