Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
It's really a hit or miss with headlights like those. Some can be alright while others are just a pile of crap. The biggest issues you'll probably find will be low light output (fixed with better quality bulbs) poor projector design (fixed with a retrofit or just ignored), poor fitment, and long term quality issues with wiring and water leakage. It's one of those things where you get what you pay for, but for most, that's all they need.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thank you, hopefully they'll be good. Normally they're almost 400$ headlights so I have high hopes.

Thank you

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
I actually have relatively similar headlights that I got off ebay. Mine have extra leds at the upper corners.

Hard to see in this picture but they're there!!

What I like:

-They are hella nicer than stock!
-They look badass
-They do put off a lot of forward light...

What I don't like:
-Hard to adjust vertically
-limited lighting to the sides (though I'm sure when I have more time to adjust them this will get better)
-The high beams would be better if the headlights stayed on -- just need to mod this!

I love mine despite the "cons". Way better than paying the big bucks unless you have the coin to throw around!!

:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see a lot of cars with headlights that look like that around here. Sorry I can't give any real advice, but as many as I see they can't be awful, right?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have the exact ones in your link. They are ok. Light will not be very good and mine were pointing all over the place lol. You can get them adjusted decently, but they will never be all that amazing. I love the look of them though, so I tolerate them. For 150 bucks I dig em enough to buy them every couple or three years.

These are way nicer, and work much better, but cost more.

Boom...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Here's the ones in your link. These are 2.5 years old. They looked a great deal worse (almost totally blurred) until I cleaned them with bug spray the other day. This is how they came out.

These are in the hot FL sun errrday. And these are the lights for my dd, so I use them a lot.

And yes you will LOVE the way they look when they're brand new on the car. It will make you feel like your whole car is newer lolol.

Get both new fogs too! 8 bucks a piece I found the fog housings for I think. They are stupid cheap.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
The first lights Cheap Sleeper showed are ST 170 headlights. They also can be called Facelift Focus light because all European headlights went to that style in about 2002 or so (not sure on the exact year). Most Euro ones were done with chrome housing but the best lookers are like the ones shown with black housings. I think you can still buy them new somewhere but the most common way to buy them are used from eBay.uk. If your by them just be careful to get left hand drive lights instead of British right hand drive for proper aiming.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Those aren't the same ones, mine are a bit different and they were more expensive, I got them in and they put out great light and I didn't even have to adjust them. They look great too. The only problem is they didn't fit right so I did have to cut a lot of the plastic. Other then that the only complaint I have is that the blinker wire is a bit too short. Overall I'm very happy with it so far

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Those aren't the same ones, mine are a bit different and they were more expensive, I got them in and they put out great light and I didn't even have to adjust them. They look great too. The only problem is they didn't fit right so I did have to cut a lot of the plastic. Other then that the only complaint I have is that the blinker wire is a bit too short. Overall I'm very happy with it so far
Which lights are you refering to? The second batch of pics I posted are pics of the exact ones in the original post's link. I know my headlights anywhere lol. I studied every style that exists for our cars for weeks before buying the ones in your first link. The identical lights are made by several companies in china. The company that made mine is called Sonar. Look them up. I think I even bought my set from that link you posted hehe. If you were to speaking of another one, my apologies!

Btw, if you bought those ones in the link, they don't come with a 330k ohm resistor for each halo, and from what I've read, if you don't put resistors on each one, they will burn up quickly (like, within weeks).
That is a non-issue for me because I didn't buy them for the halos, and I purposely don't run them. The halos have their own wires that don't plug-and-play like the actual headlights do, so I wrapped all the wire for them and tucked it away. I bought them for the projector style. I think faux-luxury car headlights with 10 extra LEDs in each one are ricey on a focus, and weird fancy headlights belong to expensive, fancy cars. Plus, angel eyes are a BMW thing... not a ford focus thing lolol.
I only bought them 'cause they are practically the cheapest ones, and I like the look of their simplicity, rather than the ones that try to have bmw, acura, mercedes, and lexus styles of LEDs all crammed into one head light. Remember the craze of 'clear tail lights' in ricer world? Lolz

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Which lights are you refering to? The second batch of pics I posted are pics of the exact ones in the original post's link. I know my headlights anywhere lol. I studied every style that exists for our cars for weeks before buying the ones in your first link. The identical lights are made by several companies in china. The company that made mine is called Sonar. Look them up. I think I even bought my set from that link you posted hehe. If you were to speaking of another one, my apologies!

Btw, if you bought those ones in the link, they don't come with a 330k ohm resistor for each halo, and from what I've read, if you don't put resistors on each one, they will burn up quickly (like, within weeks).
That is a non-issue for me because I didn't buy them for the halos, and I purposely don't run them. The halos have their own wires that don't plug-and-play like the actual headlights do, so I wrapped all the wire for them and tucked it away. I bought them for the projector style. I think faux-luxury car headlights with 10 extra LEDs in each one are ricey on a focus, and weird fancy headlights belong to expensive, fancy cars. Plus, angel eyes are a BMW thing... not a ford focus thing lolol.
I only bought them 'cause they are practically the cheapest ones, and I like the look of their simplicity, rather than the ones that try to have bmw, acura, mercedes, and lexus styles of LEDs all crammed into one head light. Remember the craze of 'clear tail lights' in ricer world? Lolz

Yeah that's my bad, I was looking at the first picture you had. And I wired them up bc I figure since I bought them, I might as well use them. I didn't do it so they're always on though. Just when I turn on the headlights. I'm gonna go without the resistor and hope they stay and if they don't, oh well.
And the second ones you posted are the same as what I bought so hopefully they'll last, thanks for commenting, if they last me 3 years that should be good because by then I'll probably need a more reliable car.
The previous owner mistreated this car badly and it wasn't well taken care of :/ but this foci is in much better shape now.

Oh and I'm I that hot FL sun too lol.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
For 150 bucks, you could slap a new pair in every other year and always have teh shiney new lights! I am literally about to buy another pair of those since mine have put in there 2.5-3 years of service.

That's cool you in fl too huh? Slick is here too. Im sure there's a bunch of members on here from fl, there's a lot of foci here!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For 150 bucks, you could slap a new pair in every other year and always have teh shiney new lights! I am literally about to buy another pair of those since mine have put in there 2.5-3 years of service.

That's cool you in fl too huh? Slick is here too. Im sure there's a bunch of members on here from fl, there's a lot of foci here!

Yours were only 150?? Mine are 180 on sale, 350 normal price

And yeah I am from FL, and I see Alot are here but I don't see that many cool foci by me :/

They're usualy... Stock... Sorry for mentioning the forbidden word

1 - 20 of 22 Posts