Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Ive been in the market for tires for my 2008 focus before the snowy winters of Ohio and I stumbled upon the Cooper CS5 grand Touring on special for $69 each at Wal-Mart and they could install them for $16.5 each. So I ordered 4 of them.

They have good reviews on Mavis tire but somewhat mixed reviews here.

The OEM says they should be 205/50/16 but I ordered the 205/55/16 and according to a post on focaljet by Auto-x-ZTS says their fine. My question is, what would the change impact?

What are your thoughts?

Best,

Jim.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have 205-55-16 in place of the stock 205-50-16. I went with General Altimax Artics, snow tires. Had them for probably 40k miles now. The tire selection is poor in 205-50-16, so I am glad to have more options in the slightly bigger size.

The 205-55-16 are about a half inch taller. So your speedometer and odometer are affected, by about 4%. When I calculate mileage, I add 4% for actual distance traveled.

Sometimes in tight turns the front tires might rub against the fender liner. If you happen to hit a raccoon or similar, the reduced space around the tire means the fender liner will most likely get ripped out. There is also less room for snow to pack in, so it could rub on the tire quicker if you don't clean it out.

I have the Cooper CS5 tires on both of my Windstars. They do fine on those, with a fair amount of weight on board. Not sure how they perform on a Focus.

·
FUBARCUS
7,763 Posts
Tire Rack has them listed as a 7/10 in light snow and 5.2/10 in deep snow and 5.5/10 for ice traction. they should get you by. Just be mindful in poor weather conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I ended up buying these tires from Discount tire as I was a little sketched out at my local walmart auto place.

Ive driven about 100 miles so far but they have been good so far I havent seen much rain and snow. But, my mother said "I think thiers something wrong with the engine, its loud", unaware at how loud the previous tires were (we had arizonian silvers, Discount tire exclusive, a meh tire.)and how quiet the cs5's are lol.

·
Approved FF ********
118 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying the new rubber, Jimmy Shack! Thank you for your continued support - we greatly appreciate it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts