Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to graduate college (this coming spring) Once I land this beautifully amazing high-paying "career" thing, I want a new car to be first on this list.

So far my two choices (very FAR ends of the spectrum) are both under ford.
Choices: Mustang GT, or Mazdaspeed3 ! (I know...very odd).

I love straight line speed, but also enjoy handling. The GT is good for the straight line part (and for 1,000 in bolt ons, or 5k for a blower It will be ridiculous). I can make it handle decent with some suspension but thats more money of course.

The ms3 (test drove one yesterday for the first time) really impressed me but left me wanting a little bit more. For being rated at 268/280 it feels more like it should be rated at 230/250. The ms3 gets varying reports on the dyno (anywhere from 215 hp to 245!).

I would like to have a car that can do consistent 13.0-13.2 1/4 miles (possibly 12.9 would make me smile). Obviously the mustang can do that quite easily (bolt on's and slicks can get 12.9 with some good driving).

The MS3 has an AMAZING midrange, but it falls flat on its face (think 3 cylinder geo metro power after 5,500 rpm). I have learned this is due to the throttle closing after 5500 rpm (thus boost decreases, thus it feels like a turd). I guess there is some tuning out now (and more expected to be out within the year) that get rid of the throttle closing deal, taking the power to a more respectable mid 6k rpm curve.

My question (after all that...) Is: Who has gone from an SVTf to an MS3? Anyone move up to a mustang gt?

Obviously the ms3 is cheaper (although only by about 2k including the grand touring package on the ms3).

I Love my svtf but want something newer and with more power that will hopefully last me quite some time. I get roughly 26mpg highway (doing 70% highway) and an average of 22mpg city with my bolt-on svtf. The ms3 is rated at something like 17-18 city and 26 highway. I have read that people get closer to 20 city and up to 30 highway depending on how long you are into boost of course. The mustang is 15-20 city and 22-28 highway again depending on cruising speed/how much you romp on it.

Any input for me?

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Have you considered the new Hyundai Genesis coupe? kinda falls in the middle of the two. I'm gonna check one out when they come out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did consider it for a short time... also considered the new camaro and challenger but they are just too damn heavy for my liking. I like the pontiac G8 GT, but thats the kind of car I plan to have when im approaching the "over-the-hill" mark with kids lol.

I will have to wait and see what the genesis looks like...but for now its a bit too much like a pumped up tiburon!

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
STI for me... But since you probably wont consider it I would go with the MS3... Too many gts everywhere and they arent a big deal IMO..

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
ms3 all the way.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Boost your car......

MS3 is nice, but its HEAVY..like 3200lbs.....beefy thing. and the rear end is wierd looking...

what about a MS6??? they are SICK and AWD!!!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
what did you major in to get this gloriously high paying career? lol... Buying a brand new car shouldn't be the first thing on your list of things to do... that is if you have loans.. But that's just my opinion. I'm a finance major so.... ;-) I've been out of college for 2 years and have yet to purchase a new car. I put about 20 miles MAYBE a week on my car. I take a bus downtown to work so a new car is really not something i need. Build the crap out of your car is what i'd do and have another POS to just get you around

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
I'd go with what HaveBlue said.

save yourself some money and boost/tune the SVTF and i'm sure you can pull good 1/4 mile times, and you'll be able to out handle both the MS3 and the Mustang.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thats what I plan on doing, well that and slowly building me a 32 ford roadster, hehe (A guy can dream).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies.

As far as building the SVT... I used to want to do that but I want a newer platform to build on. Boosting the SVT is not really worth it in my book as with a decent blower (or turbo) its easily 5,000+ for the FI, the tuning and the supporting mods (clutch, flywheel etc).

Dumping that kind of money into a car that already has low value would not be good come time to get rid of the car. Its a lot easier to sell a used blower and a used svt sep. but I still dont want the hassle.

As far the the glorious career I mentioned, that was pretty much me kidding around. Everyone always talks about how important it is to go to school to get that great career... most likely I will start between 40-45 which is not too bad in my book.

I am surprised how heavy the MS3 is (3200) compared to the svt (2700) and compared to the mustang GT (3500-3600 depending on who you talk to).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Between the MS3 and the GT, I would take the GT. But a slightly used 350z would be nice. Then add some Stillen parts later.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm pushing 60 years old, and have had cool cars all my life including big block chevelles and a 69 camaro z28 back when they were new, a 240z when it was new, bmw's, nissan's 89 taurus SHO, 98 eclipse turbo spyder and a mustang GT pre-2005. The SVT Focus is the nicest driving, most entertaining car I have ever owned, and you are looking forward to getting rid of one you already have! If your Focus isn't giving you trouble, I would keep it rather than taking a couple thousand max on a trade in. That said, my buddy has the latest style Mustang GT, and they are much more solid and drive better and a lot faster than the previous ones, and I like the look and the features for the price. I just wish they were a little smaller and lighter, the camaro and challenger are even bigger. I like the Mazda 3's, but wish they came as a 2 door. The Volvo C30 is a 2 door version of the same chassis with a 5 cylinder turbo and I like the looks pretty well, but they are a little pricey! All the cars based on the current euro focus don't have room for my foot to fit between the brake pedal and the console, so I would check that out to see if it's an issue for you. You never know when you might want to put you foot on the brake pedal quickly!!

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
i would go STI or EVO...but last gen and not the brand new ones

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies guys. As far as the STI or evo...I have driven a few stock and nearly stock STI's and for the price I would rather have semething else. AWD is nice...but would be nicer if if was actually 4wd so you can select when you want to engage it (parasitic loss and wear of 4 times the driveline parts = a lot to deal with when you have a problem).

I have researched the c30 a little but am not too keen on the fact it always loses to the ms3 in reviews. It is also way pricey. I know volvo makes nice stuff, but I did a really small build on one on their site and it came out at just shy of 29k. Options were a few cosmetic things, a wheel upgrade (400) and black paint (500 bucks). A little too much for my taste, considering it woudl require power mods to be within my acceptable range.

I am 6'2" so how I fit in a car is very important. I wear a size 14 shoe and didnt notice a problem on the test drive of the ms3, but that is definitely something to pay attention to.

If I do sell the svt I will do it outright, as I refuse to accept the 3-4k they would probably offer me on trade. I can easily get 6500 out of it though ebay, bone stock and sell my mods/rims (probably 1k worth of used mods I could get rid of). Thats 7k-7500 ish toward the new car. If I got a mustang I was considering keeping the svtf as I have snow tires on the stock 17's which would be nice for the winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts