Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
To reset your airbag module and repair seat belt tensioners?

Thanks
I wouldn't trust my life over these guys ... to save what ... few hundred bucks over a dead or badly injured body because of shoddy repairs?

Most of the time you do an insurance claim when you pop the bags ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't trust my life over these guys ... to save what ... few hundred bucks over a dead or badly injured body because of shoddy repairs?

Most of the time you do an insurance claim when you pop the bags ...
Yeah, I did file an insurance claim. They totaled it and I bought the car back from them. I'm just trying to get it back going with minimal out of pocket. Isn't there a way to test the system once it's back together just to make sure the SRS system and it's functionality isn't compromised?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just take it to the Ford dealer. Last time I had to do that i was with a 2000 Focus and was like $100 for them to check the readiness and program the control module. Replace your seatbelt pre tensioners don't even try one of those repair places. what's better save a little money now and it fail should you ever need it or spend the money to replace it and it function as designed if it's ever needed?

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's quite literally your life and the life of anyone you care about on the line. This isn't something to save money on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the concern guys...I appreciate it.
I get what you're saying...but is reprogramming the module and rebuilding the tensioners really rocket science? Who programmed us to believe that only the dealer is capable of resetting the module and that the tensioners aren't rebuildable? I did quite a bit of research before deciding to do this and I'm inclined to believe this was the right route for me. I just don't believe that stealerships are the only ones capable of doing good work. This is just one more case where if stealerships were more reasonable in their costs we probably wouldn't look elsewhere.

Thanks again

·
Registered
845 Posts
I tend to live by the saying, you get what you pay for. I use that in my business, often times, we end up fixing the mistakes of our competitors.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Per Ford and most other manufacturers, when an airbag or seatbelt pretensioners deploy the control module should be replaced also. You do to your car whatever you want, but I value mine and my families life enough to buy new parts when it comes to safety restraint systems. Which is why when we rebuilt the 2000 Focus my wife use to have we put Ford parts back in it for the restraint systems, but did use aftermarket or used for everything else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tend to live by the saying, you get what you pay for. I use that in my business, often times, we end up fixing the mistakes of our competitors.
I follow the theory most of the time as well but I have found that some take advantage of the age-old saying by charging more and giving less. I believe people have caught on to the ole'; if I charge more you'll feel like you're getting more thing.

Per Ford and most other manufacturers, when an airbag or seatbelt pretensioners deploy the control module should be replaced also. You do to your car whatever you want, but I value mine and my families life enough to buy new parts when it comes to safety restraint systems. Which is why when we rebuilt the 2000 Focus my wife use to have we put Ford parts back in it for the restraint systems, but did use aftermarket or used for everything else.
I hear you but these are the same manufactures that want you to come in every 3,000 miles for them to charge you $100 to turn off your maintenance required light also. As manufactures make less and less on the selling of their vehicles they have to find clever ways to make more on service.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I follow the theory most of the time as well but I have found that some take advantage of the age-old saying by charging more and giving less. I believe people have caught on to the ole'; if I charge more you'll feel like you're getting more thing.

I hear you but these are the same manufactures that want you to come in every 3,000 miles for them to charge you $100 to turn off your maintenance required light also. As manufactures make less and less on the selling of their vehicles they have to find clever ways to make more on service.
There are 2 places where you shouldn't really cut corners. Your car and your home. That's not to say airbags.com doesn't do quality work, they just might do great work. However, am I going to trust them with my life over a certified dealer? Not at all. If it was an oil change or something else, maybe. But when it comes to seatbelts and airbags? Absolutely not.

I'm not sure what cars you're buying, but none of the cars we have recommend coming in every 3K miles. In fact, most explicitly say in the manual 5k-10k miles. And almost all of them have oil life monitoring systems in them telling you how good your oil is. And if any dealership is charging you $100 to turn off a maintenance light, you need to go to a new dealer.

Either way, it seems like your mind was made up on this issue before you even made the thread. You asked us, we all answered the same way, and now it seems like you're trying to convince yourself you made the right choice. If you're happy and feel safe with your decision, that's all that matters in the end.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are 2 places where you shouldn't really cut corners. Your car and your home. That's not to say airbags.com doesn't do quality work, they just might do great work. However, am I going to trust them with my life over a certified dealer? Not at all. If it was an oil change or something else, maybe. But when it comes to seatbelts and airbags? Absolutely not.

I'm not sure what cars you're buying, but none of the cars we have recommend coming in every 3K miles. In fact, most explicitly say in the manual 5k-10k miles. And almost all of them have oil life monitoring systems in them telling you how good your oil is. And if any dealership is charging you $100 to turn off a maintenance light, you need to go to a new dealer.

Either way, it seems like your mind was made up on this issue before you even made the thread. You asked us, we all answered the same way, and now it seems like you're trying to convince yourself you made the right choice. If you're happy and feel safe with your decision, that's all that matters in the end.
Sorry bud, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just giving my opinion. I think this has been good objective internet conversation. Just because we respectfully disagree doesn't mean either of us are wrong in our opinions.
I did in fact make my decision prior to posting this thread, I was just curious if anyone else had used myairbags and if their turnaround time and service was acceptable.
My maintenance required light on my 2012 Camry, 2008 Scion and 2007 CR-V illuminate every 3k miles. I'm not sure about my Focus. Dealers out here charge $90 to take even a peek at your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts