Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I purchased a 2014 Focus SE (on 3-28-14), and since then the car has been nothing but one trouble after another. First the rear taillight lens had to be replaced because of collecting water (no big deal), but then the real problems occurred. On one stormy July afternoon, I noticed that my windshield whippers where slowing (from high all the way to the lowest intermittent slow setting). Took it in and they said that it was a bad switch assembly from a bad batch and it was replaced. The same day they fixed the problem the wipers did the same thing (it rains in Florida every day almost during the summer), so I turned around and took the car back to the dealership. The dealership gave me a rental car and took mine for further diagnostics and lets just say it took them and Ford engineers over a week to find and fix the problem. Then I had to have the clutch assemble replaced in October because of slipping gears, jumping and shuddering during shifting. Then in December 24 the battery light came on (immediately after a dealership changed my oil and they refused to look at the car until after Christmas). Took it in on the 26 and no problems where found. Then on 1-11, the battery light came back on again. I took the car in on 1-12, and the technician had contact and email the ford engineer again because the car was giving him multiple error codes concerning charging faults, air bag faults, driver assist faults, and some systems where failing to even respond to the computer. The engineer said that it was the Body Control Modular, and once again I am in a rental. Are these problems just a lemon car or is everyone having similar problems

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Hey everyone. I purchased a 2014 Focus SE (on 3-28-14), and since then the car has been nothing but one trouble after another. First the rear taillight lens had to be replaced because of collecting water (no big deal), but then the real problems occurred. On one stormy July afternoon, I noticed that my windshield whippers where slowing (from high all the way to the lowest intermittent slow setting). Took it in and they said that it was a bad switch assembly from a bad batch and it was replaced. The same day they fixed the problem the wipers did the same thing (it rains in Florida every day almost during the summer), so I turned around and took the car back to the dealership. The dealership gave me a rental car and took mine for further diagnostics and lets just say it took them and Ford engineers over a week to find and fix the problem. Then I had to have the clutch assemble replaced in October because of slipping gears, jumping and shuddering during shifting. Then in December 24 the battery light came on (immediately after a dealership changed my oil and they refused to look at the car until after Christmas). Took it in on the 26 and no problems where found. Then on 1-11, the battery light came back on again. I took the car in on 1-12, and the technician had contact and email the ford engineer again because the car was giving him multiple error codes concerning charging faults, air bag faults, driver assist faults, and some systems where failing to even respond to the computer. The engineer said that it was the Body Control Modular, and once again I am in a rental. Are these problems just a lemon car or is everyone having similar problems

Lemon car for sure... someone must have been [sleep] in the assembly line this day...

It happens... with any car manufacturers!

You have a 2014... Fight with Ford to have it buy back... (at least that's what I would do IMO)

BTW, there's plenty of Ford dealers in your region... choose wisely!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
^^^^^ ya I haven't had any of those issues. That should not happen. Especially on a new car.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Let's hope the latest problem will be your last: Focuses aren't perfect, but your troubles seem much worse than typical.

To be on the safe side, familiarize yourself with your sate's "Lemon Laws" and document your experience. In particular, keep track of the number of days your car is out of service as this is one Lemon Law trigger.

As others have said, your dealer doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed, so you may want to look at alternatives.

Good luck and let us know how things develop.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have been fairly lucky with my foci. I have had 4 in the past 6 years. My 09 focus coupe had 100,000 miles on it and I didn't have one issue.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I hope not lol. But I also had a 2011 focus with 75,000 miles and no issues.

·
Registered
289 Posts

I'll have to be a Debbie Downer here and say that you don't (yet) qualify for lemon laws. According to the FL DMV website:

When is a Car a Lemon?
Recurring problem not fixed after three attempts
Out of service for repair for 30 cumulative days

(In the first 24 months of ownership)
Additionally, while not really a widely experienced quirk, the wipers issue is actually a non-issue. In short, each wiper is on its own motor (whereas, most wipers in most cars are connected in tandem to the same motor). In the Focus, the wipers move in relation to one another so they don't end up hitting each other. If one wiper is moving slowly, the other will slow down so that they don't collide or run over each other. Most dealers aren't aware of this... The best way to fix it is to generously apply Rain-X or another similar product to reduce friction on the blades.

Ford wouldn't consider the transmission part of the issue since the warranty was extended on the transmission for exactly that problem.

My advice: Ditch the dealer(s?) you have been dealing with up until this point but keep any and all service records. Go to a new one and hope (or, demand) that you receive excellent customer service.

If the BCM issue becomes a recurring thing or your car is out for more than 30 days then LWYRUP

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've only had my SE a little over month, but it has 2500 miles on it already, and so far *knock on wood* no issues.

That really sounds like a lemon car, it happens unfortunately since there is still a lot of human involvement with the assembly. I echo the other comments, sounds like you need to second set of eyes on the car from a different dealer. Good luck!

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Bought my '14 just a couple weeks before you did, also in Tampa. Very unlike my '12, this one hasn't back to the dealer once yet (knock on wood). Very happy with it.

Out of curiosity, what's the build date on yours? What dealer did you buy from /having it serviced at?

·
Registered
167 Posts
2012 Focus built in May 2011, 49,950 miles, 5-speed manual
Total problems to date:
Headlamp full of water - replaced under warranty
Door check straps: 3 out of 4 were cracked - replaced under warranty
Steering wheel trim peeling away near the airbag - replaced under warranty
1 Recall for ECU reprogramming.

That's it for me. I like my car.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
...I took the car in on 1-12, and the technician had contact and email the ford engineer again because the car was giving him multiple error codes concerning charging faults, air bag faults, driver assist faults, and some systems where failing to even respond to the computer. The engineer said that it was the Body Control Modular, and once again I am in a rental. Are these problems just a lemon car or is everyone having similar problems
Hi flcb90,

I want to look into some additional assistance. Please send me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location via private message. I'll get right on it.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Your a saint meagan

·
Registered
220 Posts
2014 SE purchased in July. 17,500 miles as of this morning. No issues whatsoever.

Sorry to hear of the OPs problems. Hope you get them resolved soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I purchased in Wesley Chapel. Then ended up moving to Bartow, so Bartow Ford did the wipers, and the tail light replacement. Then I moved to Plant City and so the dealership in plant city is worked on the clutches, and then the battery light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think my build date is February 2014 but not certain till I get my car back. Update, The Body control Module fixed the problem for all of 5 minutes (dealer caught it before releasing the car back to me), so they replaced the alternator, based on Ford's corporate line, and that did not fix the problem and when I went in to pick the car up they said that the alternator did not fix the problem and to keep the rental until further notice because the lead foreman/technician was working on the car. Also, I do not blame the dealerships because both have gone above and beyond their way to help me/ squeeze me in at last moment to help me, so I do not feel it is the dealerships.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Your a saint meagan
[:I] Aww, you're making me blush.

I purchased in Wesley Chapel. Then ended up moving to Bartow, so Bartow Ford did the wipers, and the tail light replacement. Then I moved to Plant City and so the dealership in plant city is worked on the clutches, and no the battery light.
[EDIT] Looks like we posted at the same time. My offer to check for additional assistance still stands. :)

Meagan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts