Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After checking out all the different intake options available I think I've finally settled on an AEM CAI for my '00 ZTS Zetec.
I know some people are worried about hydrolocking with a CAI but has this really happened to anyone?
From what I hear the filter needs to be completely submerged for that to happen. Sounds like heavy rain is NOT enough to kill your engine.
I am not going to buy a bypass valve so what's the deal? Is hydrolocking really an issue?

·
Registered
89 Posts
have had one on every car i've owned. never had any hydrolocking problems. then again i don't rally or any of that with my car

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, i dont plan on doing anything special with my car, just daily driving around town. i didnt really think hydrolocking was as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A friend of mine hydrolocked his Prelude w/ an AEM CAI. Basically sucked, so it can happen. I think he was living in Oklahoma at the time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
don't get me wrong it is very possible. It has never happened to me but i dont drive much in rain.

·
Registered
226 Posts
get the bypass just to be safe. i was going to go cai but chose sri due to the fact around here we get a lot of flash flooding

·
Registered
789 Posts
i've had an AEM CAI on my car for two years now and haven't had a problem at all. i avoid driving through puddles and never even put the bypass on that i bought. the people that hydrolock are probably, no offense, ignorant and just drove right through the puddles which you AREN'T supposed to do. if your really that worried about it and want to get the bypass i will sell you mine for 35 bucks plus shipping. pm me if you want it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have been running a AEM CAI on my Zetec car for 5 years and drive it ever day!

If you are still worried about the possibility of water being ingested thru your intake, consider a Volant intake. Peace of mind is worth the difference in price, performance, etc.

I have them in stock if you are interested.

Tony D

·
Registered
248 Posts
i kno one of my friends hydrolocked 2 motors in his LS integra with it and another in his 420A just 2 days ago ran into a puddle and it blew.....but his car sits about an inch off the ground.......personally i dont think it is the brand of intake....unless you have a by pass valve any CAI can hydrolock you motor with the right amount of water

·
Registered
789 Posts
^^exactly. it's not the brand, it's the people who drive through puddles when they know their intake is right next to the ground. your friend should definitely be more careful

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've got my cai on, and today i was driving home in the rain

does it matter if there are water drops on the filter?

I have the aem bypass valve on

·
Registered
94 Posts
i bought my focus with a cai on it, and i've had it for 3 years now. The filter is fine if water gets on it. The filter sits about an inch above the bottom of the fender so you have to be crazy to submerge it. The bypass only works when the filter is completley submerged. I live in vegas so when it rains, it floods and i have driven in some pretty crazy stuff. Never hydrolocked here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts