Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 2nd gen? I'm looking for a headlight kit it has to be h9 cause I have projectors, whats the reliablity of leds and plug and play?

B

·
0 Posts
Not yet for me.But check out xenonpro kits are 140 guaranteed for life.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My friend went led in his 06 f250 and loves it. Plug and play is a breeze and he gets wonderful light output. Theres 2 or 3 places out there that do a similar deal as mentioned above.
Expect ~$150 and lifetime warranty

·
Registered
652 Posts
Throwing LEDs in a reflector headlight is the same as running plug and play HIDs.

Glare everywhere.. Blinds other drivers.

OP, putting them in your projectors most likely will cause a really odd beam pattern and cutoff. Those are halogen projectors.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Throwing LEDs in a reflector headlight is the same as running plug and play HIDs.

Glare everywhere.. Blinds other drivers.

OP, putting them in your projectors most likely will cause a really odd beam pattern and cutoff. Those are halogen projectors.

I don't see where he said what kind of projectors they were...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I don't see where he said what kind of projectors they were...
It was easily inferred when he said "H9 projectors". H13 is factory housing, H9 is the eBay headlights (yours), or H1 is usually a proper retrofit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have LED bulbs in my headlights, and I've never had a problem, vleds lmz45, although in the reflector, not a projector, so I'm not sure how well that would work! Nice part about them, is they have a collar that is adjustable, so you can rotate, and move the bulb farther forward or back, to focus it better, I've never had anyone flash me, or mention anything about glare or being dazzled by them! They are pricey though, about 200cad if I remember correctly!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Knowing nothing about them before, that adjustability sounds like an answer to the problems with a simple plug in that doesn't fit properly.

Would love to see how nice a beam they make, gotta try to look them up to see the design.

Reflector housings are designed for a quite particular light output from the bulb (almost a point source and shaded in one direction for lows) so I have to wonder how close to that the LED's come.

P.S. - these look like the ones mentioned:http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVv4ADCNWpGoAQlwnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTE0cDMwczlsBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDUTRDVFJMMV8xBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1445166209/RO=10/RU=http://www.vleds.com/lmz-45-5k.html/RK=0/RS=dnFDWlE2jXP2VcTNdRQL4LSxuhs-

$35 U.S. each and they look to have that shielded point source I was mentioning!

Only worry is about cooling air flow, wonder how they do in a housing instead of sticking out the back of one. Internal to the housing in yours, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll see if I can take some pictures up against a wall or something tonight, as far as sharpness, compared to halogen, it gets pretty close, but still slightly distorted!

They are avalible with any plug, mine are h4s because I made a relay harness to feed from my battery.
My halogens were terrible at night, and there is a lot of deer around here, so I decided to try them, and now I won't go back haha, would love to do a projector retrofit though!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The have the cooling fins, with small fans on the back, I just have the stock housings, so they are exposed and get plenty of airflow, that said, I would worry about having them mounted internally, as they do get warm to the touch!
Also, that's 35$ for just the bulb, you have to get the driver as well, so 150 for the kit (2 bulbs, 2 drivers) is worth it to me!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not quite as bright, but the only hid lights I have, are off-road spot lights, and they are bright as hell!(light up the road for Bout a mile ahead of me) I'm not sure how bright hids would be in the headlights, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be as focused as the LED bulbs, so you would lose a lot of light there!

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Knowing nothing about them before, that adjustability sounds like an answer to the problems with a simple plug in that doesn't fit properly.

Would love to see how nice a beam they make, gotta try to look them up to see the design.

Reflector housings are designed for a quite particular light output from the bulb (almost a point source and shaded in one direction for lows) so I have to wonder how close to that the LED's come.

P.S. - these look like the ones mentioned:http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVv4ADCNWpGoAQlwnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTE0cDMwczlsBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDUTRDVFJMMV8xBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1445166209/RO=10/RU=http://www.vleds.com/lmz-45-5k.html/RK=0/RS=dnFDWlE2jXP2VcTNdRQL4LSxuhs-

$35 U.S. each and they look to have that shielded point source I was mentioning!

Only worry is about cooling air flow, wonder how they do in a housing instead of sticking out the back of one. Internal to the housing in yours, right?
linky no worky

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Hit the click "here" on the first linked page & you get there, not the best link but it still works. Gotta OK yahoo taking you there, happened to be the default browser the system selected (update to Win10, firefox updates, reg browser changes and I haven't changed it back yet)

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Not quite as bright, but the only hid lights I have, are off-road spot lights, and they are bright as hell!(light up the road for Bout a mile ahead of me) I'm not sure how bright hids would be in the headlights, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be as focused as the LED bulbs, so you would lose a lot of light there!
I know they are improving the technology as i type, but most of the reviews of LED bulbs is exactly that, weak spreadout or scattered light

1 - 20 of 20 Posts