Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As topic, are they any good?

I am looking at their website and got a quote for lightweight flywheel plus a stage 1 clutch kit for $788, I'm not sure if they are worthy.

I am driving a 2012 Focus MK III with 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just installed that combo on an 04 svtf. Going to be racing it soon. I will update my thread as I put miles on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just installed that combo on an 04 svtf. Going to be racing it soon. I will update my thread as I put miles on it.

So looks like they are really worthy the money? How does the pedal feel? Lighter? Harder? Any change in clutch-point height?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Worth it. I have a fidenza on my dd. pedal is just slightly firmer. Release so far is about 1-1 1/2 in from floor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worth it. I have a fidenza on my dd. pedal is just slightly firmer. Release so far is about 1-1 1/2 in from floor.

Cool! Sounds like a must-do mod for my Foci. My factory clutch pedal has a wired setting that almost release all the way to engage gear changing.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I used a Stage 3+ when I swapped to the 3L engine and then added the turbo to my Contour. After 7k miles the springs came out of the clutch hub and jammed up the pressure plate, it stopped releasing all the way.

Personally I would not use one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a Stage 3+ when I swapped to the 3L engine and then added the turbo to my Contour. After 7k miles the springs came out of the clutch hub and jammed up the pressure plate, it stopped releasing all the way.

Personally I would not use one.

I am looking at the Stage 1 clutch kit, my cat has around 170-180hp so I am guess the clutch kit will do alright?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been using that Spec combination for 93,000 miles on my '02 ZX3. Have not had any grief and clutch feels like it has many more miles left. Its a DD and has only seen the dragstrip about 6 nites in that mileage.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am looking at the Stage 1 clutch kit, my cat has around 170-180hp so I am guess the clutch kit will do alright?
I honestly do not know. I don't know how reliable they have been while used in the Focus. But on the Contour many have had all levels fail in some way.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?77218-Clutch-Failure-Links

Now with that said there are some that have a lot of miles on their Spec Clutches without issue. But they people purchased them before about 2004, iirc.

In my discussions with Spec they said it was because the MTX-75 doesn't use a pilot bearing is why I had issues. However, it used tapered roller bearings on the input shaft to do the same thing. Also my MTX-75 was rebuilt and only had 14k miles on it at the time, 7k miles I put on it. I also made sure I broke the clutch in the best I could, for 1k miles. The boost was added later.

So its up to you to do some research and made the best informed choice you can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly do not know. I don't know how reliable they have been while used in the Focus. But on the Contour many have had all levels fail in some way.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?77218-Clutch-Failure-Links

Now with that said there are some that have a lot of miles on their Spec Clutches without issue. But they people purchased them before about 2004, iirc.

In my discussions with Spec they said it was because the MTX-75 doesn't use a pilot bearing is why I had issues. However, it used tapered roller bearings on the input shaft to do the same thing. Also my MTX-75 was rebuilt and only had 14k miles on it at the time, 7k miles I put on it. I also made sure I broke the clutch in the best I could, for 1k miles. The boost was added later.

So its up to you to do some research and made the best informed choice you can.

Thanks for your advice, I have just talked to the people in SPEC, they said the previous durability issue have been solved and the newer products on 2012+ focus will do just fine. I actually bought a set of stage 1 clutch kit with a lightweight flywheel, will post some pictures while installing.

Neo

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for your advice, I have just talked to the people in SPEC, they said the previous durability issue have been solved and the newer products on 2012+ focus will do just fine. I actually bought a set of stage 1 clutch kit with a lightweight flywheel, will post some pictures while installing.

Neo
I wish you luck then. I can see them as salesmen saying that past issues have been corrected to make a sale.

I really liked the Stage 3+, but I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy another Spec clutch, even if the issues have been corrected.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I, too, will be installing the SPEC stage 1 clutch and SPEC aluminum flywheel. THmotorsports had a pretty decent price for the clutch kit. I'm thinking about buying the flywheel directly from SPEC, unless I find a better price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I installed the SPEC billet flywheel and stage 1 clutch about 4 months ago. After 5k miles, I love it. Took about 1200 miles to break it in since I didn't drive 450 in the city.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I installed the SPEC billet flywheel and stage 1 clutch about 4 months ago. After 5k miles, I love it. Took about 1200 miles to break it in since I didn't drive 450 in the city.

I love that too, outstanding performance. It has way better pedal feel than stock. I took it to track once, pretty responsive and did not slip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts