Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 4th generation Focus used Direct Injection of fuel rather than the port injection used previously.
Eventually we learned that DI caused IVD in many makes (Audi, BMW* etc...who were early users of the technology in particular) because the fuel didn't wash over the valves as in PI engines. The oil manufacturers even came out with new oil formulations to help combat the problem (SN+, dexos1 Gen 2 and soon to be introduced ILSAC GF-6). These new oil formulations have lowered calcium and sodium levels which were found to cause issues....particularly, pre-ignition issues in smaller DI TURBO engines which are now all the rage.....but also for non-turbo DI engines where the higher sulfated ash content contributed to IVD.

Since many on this site....myself included....have used oils that were not reformulated....I'm wondering if any have had issues caused by IVD? I had read once that Ford did a good job with their valve timing (I think) to minimize the issue. Some manufacturers have gone to a system that uses both DI and PI to combat the IVD issue (Toyota for one and I think Ford in their truck Ecoboost engines.)

*Many of these early DI engines require an expensive (walnut shell blast) cleaning of the valves several times in their lifetime to run properly.

PS: I do notice the oil in my 2014 (4th gen) Focus gets dark much quicker than in my 2006 with PI or in other family members Duratechs with PI...I do run synthetic oil in my 2014 but I won't do extended OCI's (oil change intervals) because of this.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The 4th generation Focus used Direct Injection of fuel rather than the port injection used previously. ...
Direct Injection started with the 2012 model year, or the 3rd generation, in North America. (Don't know about elsewhere.)

PS: I do notice the oil in my 2014 (4th gen) Focus gets dark much quicker than in my 2006 with PI or in other family members Duratechs with PI...I do run synthetic oil in my 2014 but I won't do extended OCI's (oil change intervals) because of this.
2014 is 3rd gen.

2012 Model Year to 2014 = "Mk 3"
2015 - 2018 = "Mk 3.5"
2019+ = "Mk 4"

I also own a 2014 and have been curious whether Ford had succeeded in avoiding, or at least reducing, the carbon build up problem you describe with the tricks they used in designing their GDI system for our engines (though I'm not exactly clear on what they are and whether they just considered them or actually implemented them).

I don't know whether it matters for carbon buildup, but I use Pennzoil Ultra in hopes of maximum engine longevity. (I don't worry about how much it costs since buying this car saved me $THOUSANDS over any of the other cars I was considering buying, not to mention how much I have been saving at the gas pump and in traffic court.)

Since mine is naturally aspirated I am less concerned than I would have been if I had bought an ST or RS. "Keep it simple" is important to me because I have a real problem trusting anyone else to work on my car.

As for oil change interval, I recently changed mine after only 3,700 miles since the previous oil change because it had been 21 months since that last change. (12 month max recommended by Ford -- other stuff goin' on in my life delayed the oil change.)

Concerned that I might have blown it, I sent a sample of the used oil to Blackstone Labs to be analyzed. They reported that the oil was still lubricating well because wear metals were "quite low ... typical for this type of Ford after about 7,300 miles ..." while mine has been driven 18,700 miles. They also found "A trace amount of fuel is just from normal use, and the 6.2 TBN shows there was a lot of active additive left in this 5w20 oil. Try 6,000 miles on the next oil, even if it takes a few years."

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It doesn't seem to be a common problem on the 2012+ DI engines. I've seen a good number of them here with high miles / no problems. I've always used cheap 87 octane and conventional oil (6K+ intervals) and I'm at 130K+ with no issues.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
It doesn't seem to be a common problem on the 2012+ DI engines. ... I'm at 130K+ with no issues.
Thanks. Good to hear.

Do you often drive it "enthusiastically", or more for best mpg? (My driving is roughly about 25% for fun on twisty roads / 75% for economy on local streets and freeways to get to and from the fun roads, with occasional stretches at high rpms on freeways.)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Do you often drive it "enthusiastically", or more for best mpg? (My driving is roughly about 25% for fun on twisty roads / 75% for economy on local streets and freeways to get to and from the fun roads, with occasional stretches at high rpms on freeways.)
Probably 90% casual / MPG driving, but I will drive the hell out of it at high RPMs now and then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts