Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, and I'm curious to hear what the verdict is from my dealer, I'm a little suspicious that a pothole could have taken out my ac compressor. When I was looking at it again tonight, I couldn't believe how close to the ground it is. I work in a pretty rough area on the south side of Chicago, and the potholes are unbelievable (43rd street, western ave, ashland, 47th street, pershing). I remember hitting on pretty hard on the right side one day, but I can't really see any obvious damage.

If you didn't guess already, my compressor is trashed, the oil from the compressor is all over the immediate area, but mostly seemed to collect on the plastic shroud immediately surrounding the compressor (not the underbody felt thing). 5100 miles.

Alternately, has anyone had a compressor go boom under 7,500 miles here?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I was going to link the A/C thread, but I see you've found it already.

Absent any obvious damage from hitting the ground, argue that it grenaded itself if there's any question. Plenty have locked up, so one coming apart isn't hard to believe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm just more weirded out that this is the second time in a row that this specific thing has happened with me, these are the only 2 new cars I've ever had, and none of the used cars I've had ever had a single problem minus regular maintenance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
New cars & worn out cars, the only ones where things break unexpectedly.

It's not a hard & fast rule, but ask any trucker if he'd rather be assigned a NEW rig or one that's a year old. Only the young guys pick brand new (unless they're buying one) as experienced hands KNOW they'll loose time over first year issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New cars & worn out cars, the only ones where things break unexpectedly.

It's not a hard & fast rule, but ask any trucker if he'd rather be assigned a NEW rig or one that's a year old. Only the young guys pick brand new (unless they're buying one) as experienced hands KNOW they'll loose time over first year issues.
Well, I definitely know that to be true, as a pilot.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
SkyPilot here and I have compared notes before, see similar issues between my adventures when Trucking & his Piloting.

New rig flies well when Skydiving, but the first jump is a test one - you don't know if it's going to fly well until you try it. Trim SHOULD be right etc., but I've seen some with a built in turn from day one. Toggles might need to be reset to get the stall point where you want it, that's an individual adjustment that you should double check each time you're under canopy as daily conditions can affect it. (don't need to reset them once done, but the exact point varies a little)

(Off Topic slightly)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unless the dealer can point to an area of impact on the underbody (scuffs, dents, etc) in the immediate area of the compressor, I would believe that the compressor blew up due to premature bearing failure.

If your suspension took the brunt of all the potholes, then the forces are transmitted up to the top of the strut tower, far away from the compressor.

Bearings have a bi-modal failure distribution.
They will either fail early or have a long life. Not much in between.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, looking at it again there's no way there's any damage to that area or anywhere else on my car.

What I meant by hitting potholes-or other objects sticking out of the road like they do here- was hitting something at a weird angle, with the suspension/wheels not taking any of the hit. There's a lot of stuff like that in this area. I had a buddy whose 06 mazda tribute's oil pan was taken out by a concrete pipe sticking up out of the asphalt (like one of those sewage or storm water manholes, but the concrete pipe around it fully exposed because IDOT half assed the refinishing of the road.) You could find about 100 of these manholes up and down western ave up until a couple weeks ago. Some of them are literally 12 inches above the surrounding asphalt. My company is blowing all sorts of money replacing tires on intermodal chassis because of this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Damn, and I thought the coal truck potholes around here were bad.....[80?]

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You should come to MX to see what a pothole is! Hahaha
I don't think a pothole could damage de AC compressor, a front side crash will!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts