Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2006 focus with the 2.0 with only 46000 miles on it. It just started making a squeaking and chirping sound. so I looked under the hood and the harmonic balancer is wobbling quite a bit. and the car has always taken a little while to start, but then ran just fine. the balancer looks as if it is starting to seperate. Has anyone else had this problem??? Thanks.

Daniel

·
Registered
247 Posts
ummm not me but i would suggest that u take an impact gun and torque that thing down before something bad happens

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yea we are taking it into the dealer tomorrow. I have never seen this before either. It's my girlfriends car, and i didn't want it to throw the belt or the pulley to fly off and leave her stranded.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Sometimes the bond breaks between the inner and outer elements, and they can slip or turn on the rubber and go out of phase. When that happens, it actually becomes worse than no dampner. Harmonic vibrations can be VERY damaging to the engine- many engines will actually break their cranks eventually. I know Miatas do this as do Macks, so it's reasonable to assume your focus is at risk also.

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
Sometimes the bond breaks between the inner and outer elements, and they can slip or turn on the rubber and go out of phase.
This happened to a crown vic taxi that my coworker was driving, it happened at the starbucks drive thru lol
It came almost all the way off, making the serp belt came off track, and it started screaming and smoking
Luckily we had a spare one on a parts car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts