Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hard-wired my radar detector into the passenger fuse box. I tapped into the ignition fuse but when I turn off the car the power to the radar detector is still on. Is there a fuse I can use that turns off when the car turns off?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just slightly off topic but what happens if you get pulled over in a location where radar detectors are illegal? For example, in ontario if your a visitor with a detector the cops will usually cut you a break by having you put it in the trunk instead of fining you into bankruptcy. I wonder what would happen if it were wired in?

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Really need a connector so you can remove it without just cutting the wires.
And plenty of fuses to connect to in a car. i would try the power windows, They have plenty of spare juice, and are on only with the ignition on. other circuits around also. Sunroof.. ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just slightly off topic but what happens if you get pulled over in a location where radar detectors are illegal? For example, in ontario if your a visitor with a detector the cops will usually cut you a break by having you put it in the trunk instead of fining you into bankruptcy. I wonder what would happen if it were wired in?

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
When I drive through states (i.e. Virginia) that bans radar detectors, I just unplug it and leave it in the glove box. Technically, you can leave it on and hope that VG2 will work (The radar detector turns off automatically when a cop has radar detector detection), but I think its not worth getting a ticket/losing the detector over. Plus, I think cops came out with VG2 detection.. but don't quote me on that.

Hard wiring the detector just means the power is hooked up to a fuse instead of the cigarette lighter. It looks a lot cleaner then having a wire hang down the center counsel. The hook up for mine is only $10, and I have also made one for a little less than that.

This week, I am going to try it with the power windows to see if that will fix my problem.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Technically, you can leave it on and hope that VG2 will work (The radar detector turns off automatically when a cop has radar detector detection), but I think its not worth getting a ticket/losing the detector over.
So that means the radar detector is actually a radar detector detector detector?

and the cops may have have a radar detector detector detector detector? lolol [rofl]

That reminds me of this scene from The Big Hit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ZNdgSs5s4

Sounds like driving with traffic may be easier to wrap your head around...lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
How did you manage to get the wire between the windshield and the dasboard ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a flat head screw driver or my keys... But you should put a towel around the screw driver so it does not scratch anything.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Very Neat Job indeed,
By the way have did you find a place to connect thw 12 V so that switches off with the ignition.
The 12V Socket takes 30 Minutes to switch off after locking the car.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I just wired mine into the switched power source for the sun roof but I have on other cars run the wire under the headliner and under the a-pillar trim so it could be wired under the dash.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very Neat Job indeed,
By the way have did you find a place to connect thw 12 V so that switches off with the ignition.
The 12V Socket takes 30 Minutes to switch off after locking the car.
You're right! I hooked it up to the 12v fuse and it turned off 30 minutes after I locked my car. When I opened the door it turned back on!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I want to hard wire my GPS, so it turns on and off automatically. I will look under the dash to see where I can hard wire it.
I have to manually shut it off, but when I unlock and open the door, it turns back on by itself!? I do not know why...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to hard wire my GPS, so it turns on and off automatically. I will look under the dash to see where I can hard wire it.
I have to manually shut it off, but when I unlock and open the door, it turns back on by itself!? I do not know why...
I assume that you are using the 12v cigarette lighter. The 12v turns off power 30 minutes after the car is locked and power turns back on when the door is opened.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Bill3rAIL Leave it on it will probably turn off after 30 Minutes.
If its coming back on it means that the Power that you are using is switched.

·
Registered
168 Posts
DELETED as I had not read through the thread before replying!

Thanks for answering my question.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Pretty darn clean looking!

A few years ago, I worked a PSD (Protective Security Detail aka bodyguarding) gig for a large security contractor in Afghanistan. Most of my time was spent protecting former American Cops who were training Aghan National Police Recruits. During our off time, the cops and us security guys talked a lot of smack and shop. Pretty amazing to hear how candid and cynical most of them were about speed laws, ticket revenue, speeding, safety and such. Not to mention all the outrageous [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* [driving] they pulled when they were cops! They're worse than you think! [:)~]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Damn, can't drive w/o one but the placement of the 12v are killing me.
I'm thinking I may have to set something up throught the 12v in the back seat...looking @ options.
1 of which is to set the RD propped up behind the center armrest with a clear view.
Wonder if that would work.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
I think its a Bunch of BS... they can have Radar, but we can't have a detector? TOTAL BS. what ya need to do is disassemble one and hard line it into the car with a Switch inside and if ya get stopped for having one... flip the switch and they will never know, they could search the glove box, truck where ever and never find it. To bad we can't program inputs into the Dash LED with a message saying Radar and what kind, then flip it off and noone knows [deviltail]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard wire radar decetor???

Has anyone checked out the wireing going to the vanity mirror lights on trhe visor? It would make a good clean installation.

Just ordered a cordless Whistler xtr-540 to avoid the wireing issue, but the direct wire detector would be preferable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts