Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an area with hard water and other crap that I have to towel the car down with in minutes otherwise it's leaving spots. So trying to help reduce the crap in the water and was looking at an RV style water filter.

I am looking at the Camco Evo part # 40631. Filters do w to the 5micron level (so it says). I have a Ryobi electric power washer that is 1.6GPM so the filter can handle that flow.

Has anyone done something like this to. Filter their car washing water? Will this actually help with spotting while I am using the towel or washing?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought a triple Pentek 20" Big Blue whole house filtration I installed would do it. Doh! Maybe if I had the right elements for the job? I saw water spots all over my Focus the first time I washed it.

I would have done the filtration for the house, even though I now know it does not prevent water spots. Apparently a lot of sand was coming up from my water well. I saw it in the toilet tanks, and the first time I did some plumbing work on the house, and shut the water off, then on. Shutting the house water off, then back on throws a slug of sand into my first Big blue filter. I think it built up in the water tank.

I would say it would not work. But I only stayed at a Holiday Inn.......

I thought of trying to use distilled water I make with an old heating distilling machine I inherited. Maybe setting up a pump with a hose and a barrel to use as the rinse water.

I'll have to see how much the distiller cost to run per gallon, and go from there.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I tried with a prefresh spadepot.com hot tub filter with no luck, still left spots, it flows 2.5 GPM

Attachments

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auto geek has one that appears to be a water sofener that you soak in a brine and will work. So you filter and you soften. The water filters will fix some of it but won't take care of the hard water issues.

So debating on that autogeek filter but it's like $100 or more IIRC.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Hard water is minerals dissolved in the water. No filter will take that out. It's like trying to filter salt or sugar out of water. Impossible. The only way to effect it is by softening or other chemical means.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I live in an area with hard water and other crap that I have to towel the car down with in minutes otherwise it's leaving spots. So trying to help reduce the crap in the water and was looking at an RV style water filter.

I am looking at the Camco Evo part # 40631. Filters do w to the 5micron level (so it says). I have a Ryobi electric power washer that is 1.6GPM so the filter can handle that flow.

Has anyone done something like this to. Filter their car washing water? Will this actually help with spotting while I am using the towel or washing?
I was considering running a mineral filter and a water filter with replaceable filters setup from lowes inline of my hose water feed as the water here is pretty bad to wash car with.
A decent water softening setup is too pricey and would only be justifiable to get for whole house, which we really dont need, but a dedicated filter setup for a hose line wouldnt even cost a hundred bucks total.
Every time it rains i rush to scrub the car down because its the only way to wash it without spots everywhere right now. Feels kinda [slap] doing it like that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was considering running a mineral filter and a water filter with replaceable filters setup from lowes inline of my hose water feed as the water here is pretty bad to wash car with.
A decent water softening setup is too pricey and would only be justifiable to get for whole house, which we really dont need, but a dedicated filter setup for a hose line wouldnt even cost a hundred bucks total.
Every time it rains i rush to scrub the car down because its the only way to wash it without spots everywhere right now. Feels kinda [slap] doing it like that.
That is kind of what I've been doing at times with the rain. Does not rain here too much in the summer though.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The wiping does little if the water itself isn't clean. It's probably due to bad water treatment. I suggest equipping yourself a water softener, the type depends on your pipelines and drainage. Head over to healthykitchen101.com for a clearer review of which system best fits your need.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,320 Posts
Get yourself a water softener to remove hardness and scaling of the water. It wouldn't be a bad idea for water treatment to my knowledge.
It'd also depend on where your living at, whether its a apt or your renting a place.....

·
Thats What She Said
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's also a bit hard to do a water softener on an external hose bib as you dont want to be irrigating with water from a water softner. Could fill up the two wash buckets from the inside tap to help but would still be rinsing with regular water.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,320 Posts
It's also a bit hard to do a water softener on an external hose bib as you dont want to be irrigating with water from a water softner. Could fill up the two wash buckets from the inside tap to help but would still be rinsing with regular water.
As you see some ppl have no idea......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts