Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a cold start problem with my 2003 LX with the 2.0 SPI. I haven't seem exact issue with other posts, so I'm looking for some direction.

When its cold outside (below 45 F) the car is difficult to start. I end up cranking it over and over (over 5 secs or so each time) before if will barely begin to idle very roughly. It will then run very rough for around 30 secs (but never more than 1 minute) before it will smooth out and run great. During the rough idle, I can smell gas. It's kinda like its trying to start without a choke. Over the past year I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, fuel pump and coil pack. The injectors were replaced 20000 miles ago when the engine was rebuilt. It had this problem prior to the rebuild, just not as bad.

Once its running, its great. no affect to gas mileage as I average 30-31 mpg. Fuel smell goes away too. The code is "misfire in first 1000 cycles."

It doesn't seem to exhibit this when its warmer, like in the summer.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Got a question - does the IAC respond at other times? Like assuming it's an automatic does the idle stay constant when dropped in gear?

The other suggestion is to check the engine temp. reported vs. reality - is the sensor reporting ambient before a cold start? (test mode or scan tool)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It idles fine when put into gear. It is an automatic. It runs fine after 30-45 seconds, that's what's so weird about it. I don't have a scan tool. What sensor detects ambient start up temperature? Thx for the reply!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Engine temp you can check with the odometer test mode.

Intake air temp needs a scan tool.

With that fuel smell I'm wondering if the IAC is opening for high idle cold, if it doesn't you'd be too rich (gas smell) and low rpm.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If your accelerator pedal is on the floor (wide open throttle) the strategy will cut the fuel during crank.
This is called a de-choke cleanout. Pumping only air through the motor for several seconds clears the fuel.
If you crank the car normally, without your foot on the accelerator pedal, and it does not start or try to fire after 3 seconds, try putting the accelerator pedal to the floor for a few more seconds. Don't crank for more than 10 seconds at a time to prevent starter / wire overheat.

If the engine catches, it will runup to redline if you keep your foot floored, so LET OFF THE PEDAL AS SOON AS THE ENGINE FIRES UP.

Check the temperature sensor, but it could be a fuel issue also.
If fuel pressure is not at the proper level, the strategy will compensate but rich fueling could result.

Try keying on (key on to light the instrument cluster, but DO NOT CRANK) and off 3 times BEFORE starting the car to see if that will build fuel pressure and result in a clean start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts