Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find the old Hard start threads so made a new one.

My 05 focus wagon with a D2L was having hard starts issues once and a while but recently got a lot worse, occurring every time I started it. In an effort to save $ I poked around to see what I could do about it before bringing it to a Mechanic or swapping out the Throttle body as mentioned in previous Hard start threads.

So I went to "Canadian Tire" and picked up a can of Carburator cleaner for 8$. I removed the rubber coupler and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and all linkages associated with it. Pulling open the throttle to clean inside the flap/door thingy (forget the name) as well.

Re lubed all the linkages and started it. It had a bit of a time starting that one time after cleaning but since then has yet to recur.

It has been 10 days and so far so good. Can anyone else try this and see if this is actually a fix or was it just a fluke.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
could've always been really dirty, i had my fofo start hard when it was cold in the winter almost all the time, since i got a bigger TB and its been quite chilly the last little while on some mornings it more or less went away. oh yea and that things called the butterfly lol. at least your probs solved, i wish it was all that easy lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 05 Focus ZX4 ST with the 2.3 Duratech I was having issues starting since I bought it last year, I cleaned the throttle body and butterfly with carb cleaner It hasn't reoccured since. Just be careful and use the carb cleaner with a rag not sprayed directly into the throttle body it can damage the plastic .Dont Forget to lubricate the linkage and cable

1 - 4 of 4 Posts