Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 ZX3 with a 2.0 PZEV and 80,000 miles on it. When I start it, I have to let it crank for 3-5 seconds before it will finally start. What can be done to correct this? Also, I am looking for a High Performance intake. What would be the best intake to get? My motor is completely stock at this time. Does any one have any info that can help me with any of these areas?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Leave the key in the on position for 10 seconds or so before you start the car and see if that helps I used to have a car that i had to do that to because it wasn't getting fuel right away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the same problem in my 05. Leaving the key in the ignition does not solve the problem, at least for what I have experienced. If you do a search, you will find that 05's have had a TSB for hard starting issues. Im still doing research through this site for what I need to do for myself.. I have come across one thread talking about the throttle body sticking, and another thread blaming the starting malfunction to a ECU or something, where you would need a FORD dealership program your car to the latest software..

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Leave the key in the on position for 10 seconds or so before you start the car and see if that helps I used to have a car that i had to do that to because it wasn't getting fuel right away.
Thats a key sign your fuel pump cannot hold pressure, as it is suppose to when you shut the car off, my old car did the same thing, once I replaced the fuel pump it started every time immediatly as I turned the key and even gained a noticable amount of power, I guess it was running super super lean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my throttle body was sticking also. I cleaned it out and and lubed it up. It works fine now.
I did hear about a new program upgrade for it, but I don't see how that will help.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
well it would surprise me if a 2005 has a faulty fuel pump, havnt heard about a problem with them, and its only 3 to 4 years old. If I were you I would get a fuel pressure guage and see what kind of pressure you have, you can get them at autozone for around 10 bucks.

Oh and how many miles do you have on your car?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
^ There's no fuel pressure test port on 05+ Duratecs. I'm not sure about the earlier PZEV models. Ford's factory service manual recommends cutting into the fuel line under the hood to install a mechanical gauge. I'm sure dealerships have something rigged up handy. However, because of the way that the system works- a fuel injection pressure reading doesn't really tell you anything. In case you didn't know, Ford's EECV systems don't have return lines, or fuel pressure regulators like EFI nuts are used to. The system's pressure is dictated by demand, and the fuel pump's pressure is regulated by the computer increasing or decreasing voltage to the pump as needed. That's what the fuel sensor in the center of the fuel rail is for. It should be a more efficient system in theory, but in reality it's minimally better at best.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
wow there isn't a test port or return fuel line? That is strange, maybe its because the OBDII has some way to get fuel pressure, I just figured that out because im doing some research using AutoTap. And FYI I am getting all my information from the older EFI systems like the one in the 1994 300 I6, which didnt have OBDII.

Thanks I didnt know that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it would surprise me if a 2005 has a faulty fuel pump, havnt heard about a problem with them, and its only 3 to 4 years old. If I were you I would get a fuel pressure guage and see what kind of pressure you have, you can get them at autozone for around 10 bucks.

Oh and how many miles do you have on your car?
I have 80,000 miles on it. If the pressure varies due to demand, that could be a little hard to test. Sounds like I may need to take it to ford to test it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yeah sounds like it according to whynothtinkwhynot, either that or find someone with autotap or some other monitoring software and scan tool. I suppose the fuel pressure variablity is why they dont put a test port.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts