Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo! It's lowered (Ford springs/struts) and is riding really nice (both look and feel on straights). But the corners are still.. Idaknow, sorta un-inspiring. Basically I think its still leaning to much but I am not sure that's the real issue. I was considering the FocusSport Lower Front Stress Bar as others have said it tightens up the front noticeably.
Any thoughts?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Yeah, the eibach 22mm front and 25mm rear sway bars will help you out alot!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ditto on the eibach setup. With my torsen diff, svt struts/shocks/springs and eibach bars, my tires feel like the only weak point in cornering.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
body roll is not the end of the world if the car still has grip. sway bars will help that more that strut bars will. have you ever seen any of the stock class cars in auto-x? they have loads of body roll, yet awesome cornering. enough to lift the rear tire, like mine below. CopperMach did hit one important point. you need to have the tires to back up your new springs/shocks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
X2

Tires are what you need.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What thenorm said. I don't think it's a body roll issue (and yes I have accounted for the tires, or lack of them (I have the all seasons on atm naturally). Not that bigger bars would not help (I fear installing the front one though. Sounds like a real PITA). this 'feeling' is really hard to quantify, but I would describe it something like ' I think I am running on the sidewalls'. And also like I am breaking heavily while turning (I.E. front end dives, tail is 'up'). I am sure it's not doing that.
Anyway, it does not inspire confidence to continue to power through the curve (brain says your at the cusp of severe understeer).
Well, maybe it is partly the tires.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
this 'feeling' is really hard to quantify, but I would describe it something like ' I think I am running on the sidewalls'. And also like I am breaking heavily while turning (I.E. front end dives, tail is 'up'). I am sure it's not doing that.
Anyway, it does not inspire confidence to continue to power through the curve (brain says your at the cusp of severe understeer).
Well, maybe it is partly the tires.
Well, if you are running all seasons you probably are running on the sidewalls, especially at 34psi. Tires are needed.

Maybe some adjustment to your driving too?? Not trying to be too critical, but braking heavily while turning?!?! Not many cars are going to feel very good in the handling department when you do that.

Your tires have a finite amount of grip, look up 'traction circle'. If you ask too much of them, such as applying braking or acceleration forces to the tires, while they are at their current maximum lateral grip...welcome to understeer in a FWD car.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Break while going hard into a corner can make your back end break loose. I've done it many times.. Go to tirerack.com and look at how they rate a tire. Get one with the most areas in dark green.

Right now the Eagle F1 GS-D3 is the best bang for the buck BY FAR in the size 205/50/16

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, if you are running all seasons you probably are running on the sidewalls, especially at 34psi. Tires are needed.
No! Not actually running on the sidewalls, that is my impression. No Sidewall action happening!

Maybe some adjustment to your driving too?? Not trying to be too critical, but braking heavily while turning?!?! Not many cars are going to feel very good in the handling department when you do that.
Again. I am NOT hitting the brakes. I am trying to describe what it feels like when turning. When you enter a curve, you would expect X lateral forces and some Y body roll. But would you expect the front end to 'dive' whilst the rear end comes 'up'? As I said, I don't think that is what's happening, just sorta what it feels like. In other words, if you were in the car, your comment might be something along the lines of "my, that's an odd sensation"
Take a look at thenorm photo. His nose is down and his ass is high. Idaknow. Maybe its just me?

But would you expect the front end to 'dive' whilst the rear end comes 'up'? >> Then again, if the front bar is working, would that not be the expected result? (trying to think this through)

And you not being critical [:)]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
hmm Well maybe all that would be is you catching traction on the front which while in a turn could through your rear out of wack, ex. whats happening to you?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. I don't know exactly what you mean by 'out of whack'. Its not into under or oversteer (I slow before then). Let me try this. It's as if all the car weight is on the front outside tire (that's me struggling to explain this, not an actual event). So the wheel starts to 'squish'. Maybe that's a good word for it. during hard cornering, the feeling is
squish! not firm or precise. There is some scrub but not out of control. A bigger sway bar won't do much for that was my thought. Which got me thinking about the FS lower bar.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Raise the tire pressure to 40ish take it out on a road real quick and see if some of the "squish" is gone. If it is then you just need better tires.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
A bit bigger on the rear say bar may help cornering feel a little bit.

The squish may be tread squirm, common when running all season tires. I managed to eat away the whole outside shoulder of my tires when autocrossing, literally due to the tire rolling over. I have some pic's somewhere that show the amount of tire deflection you really get when cornering hard. Kind of scarey really. I'll try to find them.

Also, some camber plates would help tremendously. Adding negative camber to the front is a big help. About -1.5 degrees on the front is a good place for agressive street driving IMO.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The camber plates would be a great addition, unfortunately, it's tax time. But maybe this summer I can pick up the Capaldi racing ones. Tad pricey, but my current camber up front is almost nil.
tread squirm >> I don't know if I could know to know if that is happening! Now I would assume that if I was "rolling over" onto the sidewalls, it would be apparent when I washed the car. I have no scuffing or other telltales to indicate that this is occuring. Tires are at (or were) 34PSI (recommended inflation).

Insane >> Due to weather, raising tire pressure will have to wait. We have frozen water on the roads, large amounts of salt etc. Actually, now is a good time for 'squishy' tires! [:p]

So, I take it the consensus is that 1st tires, then maybe sway bars. Regarding the sway bars. What size are the factory ones, and what size do you recommend? And yes you mentioned the Eibach, but what about other brands? FS sells the HR I noted. Any significant differences?
Thanks [cheers]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
The factory rear is 20mm and the front is.. 18mm? I'm not sure. Yes there are other brands but price wise, and streetability, the Eibach is going to be the better choice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
for an 07 SES your stock bars are 21 front and 20 rear.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry all. been outa town.
From the Sticky.
SVT/S2/Street Edition/ST/SES:
F: 21mm
R: 21mm

1-ST >> You sure about those sizes? "for an 07 SES your stock bars are 21 front and 20 rear". Is so then the sticky needs as update!

Insane >> I have read the Eibach have fitment issues.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I haven't done any real searching on it but from everything i've read people are happy with it.

I have the FS lower stress bar and it does help keep the nose a little flatter in the turns.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts