Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was just wondering if this is normal for this car.
If I, from a stop just floor it, or use launch control, my car feels like the front tires are skipping, a heavy jerking like they loose traction for a second, then gain it back and then repeat. What would cause that?

Thay are "off" brand all season tires. My Clutch is original and the car has 88k miles. No shudder problems or anything like that. Just the weird skipping when I floor it from a stop.

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's pretty normal if you haven't done the RMM upgrade. It is the rear motor/tranny mount underneath and the stock one is too flexible and this results in the wheel skip. Many go with the Focus Electric version of the motor mount but there are also even stiffer aftermarket performance mounts but be prepared for additional vibration if you go to a very stiff polyurethane mount. The electric one still has a rubber bushing but there aren't any holes in it so it is significantly stiffer than the stock mount but not as stiff as the other aftermarket alternatives so it is kind of a middle ground. It is an easy install (20 minutes, DIY) and the part costs about $60 for an OEM version.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
even with a stiffer mount you'll still get it. Could also be related to the transmission. is it a auto or manual?

·
Registered
494 Posts
even with a stiffer mount you'll still get it. Could also be related to the transmission. is it a auto or manual?
I did the RMM on both a manual and the DCT and both shift smoother and no real wheel hop. I'm assuming he has the DCT because they didn't offer the manual in the SEL.

·
Registered
804 Posts
So, I was just wondering if this is normal for this car.

If I, from a stop just floor it, or use launch control, my car feels like the front tires are skipping, a heavy jerking like they loose traction for a second, then gain it back and then repeat. What would cause that?

Thay are "off" brand all season tires. My Clutch is original and the car has 88k miles. No shudder problems or anything like that. Just the weird skipping when I floor it from a stop.

Launch control? Put some Michelin Pilot A/S tires on it & Id bet that will make a big difference although it will always be a FWD car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I did the RMM on both a manual and the DCT and both shift smoother and no real wheel hop. I'm assuming he has the DCT because they didn't offer the manual in the SEL.
i'm sure it did, i'm just saying that the DCT is known to have some shudder issues on take off so changing the rear motor mount is not a for sure solution.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i'm sure it did, i'm just saying that the DCT is known to have some shudder issues on take off so changing the rear motor mount is not a for sure solution.
Yes it does but in my experience, the DCT clutch shudder is pretty much non-existent with a full or near full throttle start. But a hard start is when the wheel hop from a weak/overly flexible mount is most likely to occur.

·
FUBARCUS
7,763 Posts
Eliminate wheel hop by spinning the tires faster [giddy][headbang]

A new stiffer RMM will help reduce wheel hop but not eliminate it completely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all, yes its the DCT, Ill do the RMM in a few months. That seems like the solution I have been reading on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Launch control? Put some Michelin Pilot A/S tires on it & Id bet that will make a big difference although it will always be a FWD car.

Yes, Launch control. Hold the brake, floor it, after about 3 seconds car will go to
2500rpm, let go of the brake, she flies man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this issue too. It's not the RMM or the tires or tranny like everyone says. The solution is free, easy, and takes 30 seconds everytime you start your car up: turn off traction control.

I'm not sure why, but the traction control in the MK3 sucks. As soon as it senses your tires are slipping (hard to avoid in a FWD drive WOT) it will cut the power until it feels it has traction, but since you're still at WOT, once it finds traction your wheels will spin again and the cycle repeats.

No matter the weather now I always just turn my traction control off. Hopefully this helps!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

Yes, Launch control. Hold the brake, floor it, after about 3 seconds car will go to
2500rpm, let go of the brake, she flies man.
That's a transmission and clutch protection strategy, not intended to be used as launch control as it's still hard on the driveline [burnout].

It wouldn't make sense for them to program in a launch control feature on a 160 hp 2.0L economy car. On an RS with 350 hp sure, but not on the base model. Even though it does allow the vehicle to build some torque before moving it is not intended to be used as launch control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts