Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both are the same price installed. Which would you choose and why?

Ive heard good and bad things about both. tire size 215/45/17

The hankooks have better ratings on tire rack, but there is a major complaint about soft sidewalls.

The sumitomos are rated slightly worse than the hankooks, but the tirerack team says they are better all around tires. Many of the reviewers say that they are having problems getting the tires to last more than 15k miles.

So i cant decide. Purchasing tomorrow, want some input from you all.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
I've heard good things about the Hankook V12s on the BMW forum for my 740 but that's about it

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Send an E-mail to Miles our Tirerack rep. Those are the kinds of questions he can easily answer. As always, its free advise with no obligation to by from them although I'm sure they would appreciate it.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Let us know how they handle and what you think. Have heard soft sidewalls. Personally i'm going for the Continental Extreme Contact DW.

Changed my mind now.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us know how they handle and what you think. Have heard soft sidewalls. Personally i'm going for the Continental Extreme Contact DW.
I honestly wanted to go the same route, but i couldnt find a decent deal on them anywhere.. They ended up being out of my price range, not to mention nobody had them in stock.

I got the hankooks for $450 mounted and balanced. The cheapest i found the continentals was $550 installed with a 1 week wait on shipping.

Ive also read quite a bit about soft sidewalls on the hankooks, but from what i can tell by my own fiddling, they dont appear to be any softer than my old G-Force Sports. Once i get them on and break them in, ill report back.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
of those 2 i think i would of picked the hankook also. I myself like a tread pattern that is uniform not one thats different across the whole tire.

The hankook says 280 tread wear and the sumitomo say 300 strange they wear faster. I would think they would last a little longer?

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Treadwear ratings aren't standardized on anything and can vary from manufacturers

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've been running a set of 215/45/17 V12's on new SVT wheels since April. I've been very happy with them, they are absolutely silent on the road and the handling is very good. I work at a performance tire shop and everybody that we've sold these to has been extremely happy with them.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Jorge runs Hancook V12s on the coupe as thats what I put on the TSWs before I traded them to him. He told me he has really liked the grip and would buy them again.

Hopefully your experience is similar.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've had V12s on mine since February. Love them! Tread wear is awesome so far. Haven't rotated them yet and they still look like they are wearing pretty even.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
What size tires did you get Richard?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
What size tires did you get Richard?
215/45/17s

Just got the car lowered down a bit earlier.. took it around the block and i can already say that thes tires are a HUGE improvement over the BFG G-Force Sports i had. Quieter, smoother, etc.

Cant give a decent review yet as i havent had an alignment, and ive only driven about a mile and a half, with no hard acceleration or curves. but im liking them so far.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Definitely go out and push these. I am looking at getting these or the Nitto Neo Gens soon and would like the first hand review info. Cornering ability and sidewall performance are a concern for me.

Thanks

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
FWIW I've had both Nitto NeoGens and Hankook V12's before...
Talk about a cliff hanger. So what's your opinion? I like the fact these seem to perform well and are about $25 cheaper per tire than the DWs I was considering.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Lol. Ok. I had the NeoGens on my old s40 on my Konig Twilite wheels. I loved the tread pattern first off. Very aggressive. I will dig up a pic tomorrow. The price was right too. I liked the built in rim protecting lip as well. I liked that they were considered an all season tire. They handled well on dry and damp pavement. They got squirelly in the heavy rain. Absolutely do not recommend them in the snow. AT ALL. I don't know what the criteria for an all season tire are but these must have just barely made it. Very bad. Seemed to have a jarring ride quality wouldn't describe it as forgiving. They wore well, no issues there. No bubbles, nothing.

I had the V12s on my MS3. I got them because the reviews from other MS3 owners were excellent. Good and cheap performance oriented tire. I was not concerned with winter performance as I had a set of snow tires. More forgiving than the NeoGens. Softer, but not overtly so. Good in the rain not as squirrely as the neogens, never used them in the snow. Tread pattern good, but not as attractive as the NeoGens. Didn't have any wear problems or bubbles. Have heard that others have had irregular wear and sidewall bubbles, but I never experienced that. Good quality.

I think you'd be just fine with either, but if I had to choose, I'd get the hankooks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I like the HTR Z III's over the V12's personally. I feel like the HTR Z III's offered better cornering and wet traction stability. They're also a big quieter than the V12's. I prefer an asymmetrical tire though, I like the capability of cross rotating my tires to get the maximum amount of life out of them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts