Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 st that was running fine. I started to get the sticking throttle that comes with the onset of cold weather. So, I tracked the proble to the TB, pulled it and cleaned it out. Fixed the sticking problem, but now I have really bad hanging revs. When driving I push in the clutch at a stop light and the engine will hold at anywhere from 2500 to 3500 for 15 to 20 seconds before dropping (slowly) back to 1k. The car will sit and idle fine after warm up, but when the throttle is opened, it hangs.
Throttle body is closing all the way, not getting caught on anything. I pulled and cleaned the MAF, TPS, IAC, didn't change anything. Checked for air leaks, checked for vacuum leaks, didn't find either...
When I pull the wires off the IAC, it makes the biggest impact. So I checked with a volt meter and the computer is sending the IAC about 14 volts, causing it to stay open. Anyone have any idea why or what is going on?
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I believe the dura functions similar to the zetec in that the IACM is controlled by the TPS. So I'm going to say check your TPS, not sure if they commonly fail on the dura or not, zetec they are known for it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
I assume at this point you are not throwing an engine code?

P.S. Welcome to Focus Fanatics ! [welcome]

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW I recently attempted to fix a sticky throttle by cleaning the TB, and I wound up with hanging revs just like you describe. The car eventually threw a CEL that wouldn't turn off. [:(] It turns out that I had cleaned off the coating that seals the throttle plate to the TB housing. The air gap around the throttle plate caused a massive vacuum leak. [?|] A new TB fixed the problem.

Remove the TB and hold it up to a light. If you can see light around more than ~10% of the throttle plate, you have found your problem.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
hi, i am having the hanging revs thing now. i just put on a new 65mm TB, and it now idles at 1k to 1250, and hangs like a MOTHER as i drive. it even climbs, from, like 3k to 4k. the car will pull me along if in gear, instead of slowing. its like an auto. i have mesesd iwth the IAC, tried 2 TPS's, and tried flipping the TPS. i even sprayed to see if any leaks. nothing. any other solutions out there?

thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
270 Posts
Maybe the computer just needs a relearn after the tps cleaning. Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, reconnect and let it relearn it's idle settings.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
thanks, ive done that though....probably 6 times now...and now, my CEL just came on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts