Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Depends on tires, but ground clearance may be an issue as well. Forget about driving if the snow on the roads is like 8+ inches deep. I got stuck 2 times because the snow was too deep. Just glad I was in driveways both times!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I got stuck so bad on the stock contis years ago...

...now I have tires that are just short of R Compound specs and got around fine...go figure..

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My Kumho ASX tires aren't that great for snow driving but I still do pretty well because of the weight on the front. My car looked like an igloo on wheels this winter. I pushed through over a foot and a half of snow and it starting piling up over my hood and winshield it was so deep. The car kept on moving depite the huge drift I was plowing in front of me.

The damn ABS totally sucks at low-speed though- it panics and just lets you roll into things. I thought ABS was supposed to turn off below 5MPH or something.

·
Registered
259 Posts
hmm I live in the Northeast right where the snow hits the most and I put a lot of mileage into driving in the snow season. I say the svt really good FWD car in the snow if you control the right variables.
Some variables to control which will help:
1)Snowtires: You need to have good dedicated snowtires on all four wheels (or Atleast allseasons). You also probably don't want to use your 17X7inch rims either maybe get some 16X6's . Reason for this is because you can only fit low profiles under the wheel wells with the 17's and the 16's give you more rubber on the sidewalls of the wheels where it gives you a slightly better ride in the snow.
2)Weight: Don't carry heavy luggage (like people) in your back seats when you drive in hilly snowy areas, Limit it to you, 1 other person and some groceries if you can. I say this mainly because it really throws off the weight distribution in the car thus making it very back heavy. If you'rr trying to go up a hill in the snow with all this stuff in the back forget about it, your not going anywhere.
3)Winter Driving Skills: Practice in the snow if you can. Go to a large parking lots with snow and few cars/objects (usually best at night). Get some practice in there getting the feel of how the car behaves when turning breaking etc. This should give you an idea of what to expect if you are forced to drive in the snow.

Just my $0.02

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
the first winter i used my stock wheels/conti's. after sliding off the road on the first 1/4" snow for that season, i learned to take it SLOW! lol after that they did fairly well for being only performance tires. and if you got the traction control that helps out a lot. this last winter season, i got 16" with all season rubber. the total wheel diameter was about an 1" bigger so that lifted my car up. all in all the svt is good in the winter. the only factors would be the tires or the driver.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I think it would be nice to make it stop intervening at really low speeds.
Not me. I'm completely impressed with how well it works.
I probably would have had an altercation more than once now, if I didn't have it.
You realize, when it engages to keep your foot down, and press as HARD as you can.
Don't pump the brake pedal at all. (that defeats it's purpose)
Just hold the pedal, and let the ABS do it's stuff.
I know it feels weird with the pedal pulsating, but it works. [;)]

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
Well im gonna have to disagree with most of you on this one...i live in one of the mmost snow areas in the U.S(avg300+inches a snow season) anyways, my fofo does excellent in the snow with some god snow tires up front, only times i dont make it is becuase its super hilly here, and obviously going up a 30 degree street with snow is kinda tough, but this past winter it did just fine, most days was like 5 or so inches on ground and went through it no problem, and whoever saidover 8 inches of snow u screwed is wrong, 37 inches of snow the lil fofo plowed through, once i stopped tho i got stuck, but on highways was prolly 20 inches and i made it alllll the way home. good tires on he fofo and youll be alright

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I know what you mean. I pushed really hard on it and it does work better when you push harder but I remember this winter I slid (or rolled rather) right into the back of my dad's truck's bumper at about maybe 2mph. The ABS was freaking out and wouldn't let the tires lock even for a second. I must have rolled a good 12 feet or maybe more too. I'm pretty sure that it would have stopped if the tires locked and dug through the top layer of sleet and snow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Waldoelx7241 said:
how good is the SVT on the snow?
mine is great in the snow since i don't drive it in the winter [:D]

actually, i'm lucky to have a dedicated winer ride so i don't have to drive my SVT during the winter. not driving it in the salty michigan winters make working on it alot nicer since nothing is rusted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts