Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Focus SE sedan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have an 05 ZX3 that has 188,000 miles on it and in the last 15k I've had some handling issues. The car is getting very loose. It follows grooves in the pavement and is wandery really bad here lately. I've put new shocks on the back and have struts for the front but am thinking I may need more. Has anyone else had this problem before and what did it take to remedy it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hello everyone. I have an 05 ZX3 that has 188,000 miles on it and in the last 15k I've had some handling issues. The car is getting very loose. It follows grooves in the pavement and is wandery really bad here lately. I've put new shocks on the back and have struts for the front but am thinking I may need more. Has anyone else had this problem before and what did it take to remedy it? Thanks.
Other than looking for any 'loose' steering and/or suspension components I would get the car onto an alignment machine. Poor alignment - front, rear, or both - can cause all sorts of ill handling.

Paul

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
^^This exactly.

Start by lifting up every corner and checking to make sure every wheel is solid. If everything is tight, take it in for an alignment. If that doesn't help, it may be bad tires but I'd count that as least likely.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,403 Posts
At 188k the front lower control arms and inner and outer tie rods should be replaced. As stated above any reputable shop will inspect your suspension for wear when you take it for an alignment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the rear springs. The Control Blade suspension adds a bit of toe-in during compression of the rear end. If the springs are weak, you could have more toe-in on the rear than is needed, causing some of the issues you have. Rear tires also wear funny with weak springs, at least mine did. An alignment is needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In 2010 my 2001 was doing weird stuff with steering like locking at certain positions, and I wound up replacing the steering rack.

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
That is a totally different issue; the rack gear was worn.

The OP needs to know that at that mileage likely parts need changing and no way to know which ones, getting an alignment is probably the last thing he needs unless it is a company that actually looks for looseness before aligning and that is as easy to find now as a dinosaur.

Most companies simply align first without checking anything anymore. It should be a violation of the law to do so.

You absolutely cannot align with loose parts (oh, you can, and all day long if you want to and what so many shops do).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts