Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

MK III is a fun car to drive with no doubt, but I have been not satisfied enough about my Foci's cornering and short dash capability.

Due to the heavy cubic weight and arrogant electronics, our Foci does show some understeering at hard corners, and accelerate not as fast as it should be. There are no internal parts we can use for that engine either, So I decided to unleash the engine power a little by modding the MTX-75 gearbox.

I don't want to take my new gearbox apart, so I bought a used MTX-75 from a 06' MK II and took it apart.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416810051.541391.jpg

The hard part was dismantling all the gears from the gearshaft, i damaged the top bearing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416810320.402380.jpg

The LSD is 1.5way metal plate type, I set it at 100% powerlock. Installation was easy just bolt-on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416810438.883468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416810462.486021.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416810484.818784.jpg

The overall took 3-4days, and the result is fantastic, although I think the sychro-rings at 2nd and 3rd are damaged from the old used gearbox, I will get it fixed while installing SPEC clutch kit later on this month. The only bad things are: I can't help to rev up to 6000rpm all the time, the milage decrease by 10-15%, and there is a noticeable buzzy noise which I will get that fixed too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416810885.001607.jpg

The ST3 can't keep up at my tail at corners now, but don't forget it's still way faster at straight.

Neo

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
NIce!

Tx for posting your results & pics, mechanical LSD can be a huge help for FWD.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Awesome, just goes to show people what a diff can do.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Awesome post!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Hopefully it gets ppl fired up to get a diff.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
A question I have is what does the LSD do the torque vectoring? Does it pretty much override it causing it to never engage or did you have to do something with a tune to disable that?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did the last race do ? How is the tune doing , I still need another log

Tom

The tune was pretty good, but there's something odd when I am at WOT, I will shoot you another log soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417061316.296651.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417061340.828518.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417061358.594572.jpg

Well, as for the race, I pushed too hard then drove down to the sand and damaged my car from the bottom,needed replace the fan, open-able grill, and racked the radiator abit, oil filter and filter stand were ripped off, cracked a lot of plastic.

However, the car got fixed by Ford and insurance covered 50% of the cost, yeah

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A question I have is what does the LSD do the torque vectoring? Does it pretty much override it causing it to never engage or did you have to do something with a tune to disable that?

I don't think we can turn it off, but it does seem engage less then before.
I had to turn off the traction control first, but the torque vectoring is just so annoying cause it will stupidly apply braking when I absolutely don't need to. I can still feel the car went sideways due to this silly setting.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A diff is just so helpful even at everyday driving.
Yea, it sure is. Lot of ppl would be amazed at how you can take corners under power. It is just so awesome it really changes the characteristics of your driving. It just adds more to your car, no matter how much power you have. This is a must do mod. I find the tc doesn't inter fear to much, even thou I can turn it off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, it sure is. Lot of ppl would be amazed at how you can take corners under power. It is just so awesome it really changes the characteristics of your driving. It just adds more to your car, no matter how much power you have. This is a must do mod. I find the tc doesn't inter fear to much, even thou I can turn it off.

I am in love with cornering now hehe. I can turn off the TC but the torque vectoring is always there, it seems always brake for you at corners where you even want to slide a little bit. When I was going fast then there is a unwanted brake at corners, the car will go sideways, cool but do not like it tho...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Theres got to be a way to turn it off or sub due it w/ a tune or something.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Or I could just un-plug the ABS cables to disable the whole thing once for all LOL
Yea you could do that & really put it to use. I'd want the abs thou for the stopping part.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts