Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent dont much with handling , I am more into the performance part of the Focus , My Custom Tune is all thats done to them

SVT Focus , list 5 things that would help the most in cornering

2008 Focus Coupe , list 5 things that would help the most in cornering , This coupe has no rear sway bar

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tom,

Are you asking about improved street performance handling or hard-core track improvements? If I had to pick one issue where the most gains can be made it would be controlling body roll so you can keep the tires more firmly planted. The most simple fixes include lowering, stiffer springs and good shock valving, sway bar selection, and track width (wider tires). Springs and sway bars need to be selected as a package to keep the front and rear roll resistance balanced. More radical solutions include reworking the front suspension geometry to get and keep the roll center above the ground throughout suspension compression and weight reduction - particularly higher in the car, including gutting the interior and lighter glass. Moving weight as low as you can get it (things like the battery) helps. Tire temperatures are the key to monitoring how flat you keep the tire on the ground, but with lots of roll it is impossible to keep the weight off of the outside edge of the tires unless you have crazy amounts of negative camber. Because of body roll it becomes difficult to keep the inside tires (in a turn) planted, so you get wheel-spin on the inside front tire trying to accelerate off a corner. Since the Torsen and Quaife are torque sensitive helical style LSDs, they basically revert to an open differential when a wheel is "unloaded", so a good plate style LSD helps put power to the ground on corner exit.

Edit: For basic improvements I would suggest the following: camber plates, strut tower brace, HR race springs on good high performance struts, big rear sway bar, rear camber adjuster links, 7X17 wheels with a 225 tire, and move the battery low in the right rear of the car. I would shoot for -2.5 degrees camber up front and -1.8-2.0 degrees in the rear.

Pappy

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that

The 08 is 85% track 15% street , For right now I think adding a rear sway bar 25mm , the steeda kit that mounts a sway bar to a non sway bar Focus and the Eibach Sportline spings for better handling and to lower the Focus 1.5 to 2 Inches , See how it does and go from there ???

Anyone have thoughts on the SVT

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts