Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no doubt that this has been done before but I'm still rather proud of them. Today I finished making mudflaps using scraps and other free things for my SVT and couldn't help but show them off. [:D] And just to try to make this thread somewhat useful, I am also showing briefly how I made them. Enjoy

First, here is the reason why I need them.

The materiel I used was scrap pieces of conveyor belting that were being thrown out by a local mill that my dad works at.

Cut and being fitted. This is the rear mudflap. Due to the fact that the rear bumper does not run parallel to the tread of the tire, I cut a section out and used a strip of roofing tin to hook it to the car.

After both the front and rear were cut and fitted, I simply painted them black and hooked them on the car with roofing screws. I may change the screws depending on how they hold up but at at least they wont rust in the New York salt.

Rear:

Front:

And the finished product. As time passes, they will loose some of the curl and look a bit better.

I couldn't help but take these pictures after I cleaned the car with the new mudflaps.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

I like the curve too but they are a bit aggressive yet. They curl even faster than the tires so it looks a little funny from the side.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Thats a great out-side-the-box approach to fixing a problem, Love it!

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Hm I thought mine were a bit odd.
Thanks for the pics to show how I need to trim my down.. ALOT. [:)]

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm not much for the mud flap look, but I really like those! good job!

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
awesome idea [thumb] looks damn good! [^]

·
Registered
427 Posts
I never understood the muflap craze but your mudflaps have purpose and they look great/like they should be there, good job!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Mud flaps because rally car lol any way looks good and what a way to reuse somethin.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. They are still running strong but I am looking for a rubber that I can use to replace the cloth. These soak up the dirt really bad and even when clean, they still keep a dirty brown color versus rubber that can be washed right off to the black underneath. They are mud flaps though so that's no entirely a bad thing. lol

·
Registered
740 Posts
curious how you mounted with the screws. did you just go right into the bumper and the fender? when i did mine i used J clips so i can take them on and off and can secure them pretty tight with the stainless bolts. btw im sure you have truck supply places near you so go and get some 24x24 truck flaps. i bought a pair and was plenty for all four corners. i have had mine on for 2 years know and they still look like the day i put them on. oh and they only cost me $12 for the pair. screw $100+ for ones which eventually loose shape and curl back.

here is my setup (btw this is when i was on stock suspension now im on sprtlines and dragging the flaps every now and then)

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice, I'll have to look into a set of those flaps. Thanks.

Yes, I just screwed through the bumper and fender liner. They have held very well and can be removed easily when the wheels are removed (can't get a screw driver in with the wheels on).

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's the reason why I like the way I have mine setup because I just need an Allen key to remove my screws. With me being low I can still take them off if I ever needed too

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
i like those.. still want to do some for mine..

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's the reason why I like the way I have mine setup because I just need an Allen key to remove my screws. With me being low I can still take them off if I ever needed too
Do you have any pictures of this? When I redo mine, I may try your kind of setup.

·
Registered
740 Posts
i will get one tomorrow for ya

1 - 20 of 22 Posts