Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a possible problem and want to hear some of your guys/gals opinion.

I jumped in my Focus SE '13 and notice my hand brake was not engaged; even though, I'm positive I had previously. As I try to leave, the car didn't move, and I hear a loud metal clunk from the rear. I turn off the car and check everything I could think of including engaging and disengaging the hand brake a few times. I again try to leave and actually move but hear a noise. Again, I turn it off and checked everything. Everything looks good. I decide to go to where I was heading to and haven't had any hiccups since.

Anyone has seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
159 Posts
How many miles?

And no, that hasn't happened, though the parking brake on mine is kind of odd in that it never seems to "sit" correctly. It is always loose, never feels like it is all the way down.
As for your issue, sounds like it got stuck somehow, then unstuck itself and is working fine again. Keep an eye on it, if it happens again have it looked at.

·
Registered
289 Posts
How often do you use the handbrake? You could have a stuck or sticking linkage if you don't use it frequently.

Given the noises you have heard, I would check to see if the handbrakes are actually engaging. Go somewhere with a slight incline where you won't damage your car or anything else and put it in neutral. Engage the handbrake and see if the car starts rolling. If it does, you'll likely need to get it serviced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a automatic 2013 SE with 26,000 miles. I always use the hand brake when parking.

As for your issue, sounds like it got stuck somehow, then unstuck itself and is working fine again. Keep an eye on it, if it happens again have it looked at.

I'm thinking this is the case. The first noise was definitely metal on metal, so I'm hoping it was just that the parts disengaging. I'm going to try chemistkremer's advice. As of right now, it's parked on a rather flat surface thus not much strain is being applied on the hand brake with the car in park.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a possible problem and want to hear some of your guys/gals opinion.

I jumped in my Focus SE '13 and notice my hand brake was not engaged; even though, I'm positive I had previously. As I try to leave, the car didn't move, and I hear a loud metal clunk from the rear. I turn off the car and check everything I could think of including engaging and disengaging the hand brake a few times. I again try to leave and actually move but hear a noise. Again, I turn it off and checked everything. Everything looks good. I decide to go to where I was heading to and haven't had any hiccups since.

Anyone has seen anything like this before?
Do you have an appointment set up with your dealer? I saw in your other post that you'll be trying out a new technique first.Keep me in the loop with any updates.

Meagan

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
what's the weather like where you are at? i've had my handbreak freeze when it's super cold, so then when i go to disengage it it's still engaged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
what's the weather like where you are at? i've had my handbreak freeze when it's super cold, so then when i go to disengage it it's still engaged.
I live in MA and this winter has been absolutely brutal so this could potentially happen to me. What have you done to disengage the brake when it freezes?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
well for me it was never crazy cold so just driving it a little bit would make them disengage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts