Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a few questions about the e-bay halos. First off what kind of bulb do most of them come with, Halogen or Hid? How does the lighting compare to that of the stock lights? and who did you buy from, there are about twenty stores selling these on ebay. And finally does anybody have these installed on an infared ST. I would greatly appericate any help.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
if they are HID you will def know when you purchase. They should say they are and come with the ballast and everything. If not it's just a halogen ya... and they do perform ok. Depending on which one you get. Mine lasted about 6months or so and crapped out on me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
most of them come with halogen, not hid, but you can buy and use a hid kit in them (H1 is usually the size of the bulb in halo projectors), theres also a few that come with the hids pre-installed but the quality of the hid is questionable

with the halogens in the projectors the light output is about the same if not just barely a little bit better compared to stock, which is why most here have thrown out the halogens and put hids and then the difference is like night and day (6000K or 8000K are the 2 best options)

dont expect great light balance all over the road with ebay projectors and hid's ... there will be scatter here and there but overall the effect and output is still nice and imo worth it

as far as who to buy them from, well theyre all pretty much the same in quality just dont get the ones that are really cheap look for the ones with the best feedback and rating

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
they are super easy to install

·
Registered
105 Posts
They are a little tricky to install. You need to wire in resistors into the halo led's in order for them to not burn out. But, if your handy with a soldering gun it shouldn't be a problem. Red on black usually looks good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know for the halo set I have it specifically says on the lights that its not capable or safe to use a HID set up. I assume its because of the heat generated. Therefore, I dont personally know much about HID kits. I just know there is a good bit of wiring involved and its typically expensive. Look around and I'm sure you'll find something.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well..I have no idea why then...There is a sticker on the cowling with a lightning bolt saying to not use HID's. Therefore I thought it was a potential heat issue.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
^ ^ ^ probably because it isn't a DOT approved headlight housing, would be my guess, but nonetheless, HIDs will work well in them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hellooooooo... First of all, the two folks asking the q's have 2007 Foci. The rest of the folks answering the q's all have pre-'05s. Be carefule which lights you are looking at on eBay. That said, the 05-07 halos usually have halogen bulbs. The lows are H3's and the highs are H1's. That's the way that mine came, at least. On mine, the row of LEDs stopped working in both headlights in about a week or two. I have also had the halos go out in my passenger side unit. There is a great thread on here that tells where and how to fix the transformer in the lights. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180557 Awesome help for a really easy fix. The light throw is pretty whooped on mine, I have two large dark areas on the set. Not sure if that is typical of all, but mine are like that. I have fogs, so I can cover those black spots up pretty good. The light coming off the headlights is definitely brighter than the stocks, so the dark spots are also a little less noticeable. I have recently ordered a set of HIDs. Waiting for them to arrive. I like the look of the CCFL Halos, and I really like HIDs. I hope that they work well, and I don't piss anyone off...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts