Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus regarding the life span of CV joints on a 2002 Focus SE w/ automatic trans?

And I'm assuming it's SOP just to replace the half-shaft...

By the way, you guys (and gals) have been great in offering advise. I know I'm not running a souped up coupe w/ NO2, etc. Just a guy with a wagon and a need to DIY.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
250k on my stock axles and my car see the track 4-5 times a year. this winter thought im going to pull them apart and re-grease them.

unless your getting sounds coming from them or the boot was torn for a long time, no need to re-place. if you want to "maintain" them do what im doing and put some fresh lube in there. just use something to mark the axles so you put the balls back in the right spot or they will fail.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
2004 Zetec auto wagon 183,000 miles no trouble on half shaft

2000 SE auto SPI sedan. Heard clicking, had to replace the half shaft with CV joint. But then I drove it from Minnesota down to Texas [been in the rust belt] ~~50,000 miles

·
Registered
116 Posts
2002 wagon 150k just replaced passenger axle fairly easy.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
2001 ZX3, 173,xxx
Replaced both unneededly ... well, the carrier bearing was a little stiff though.

For the pair of new ones you spend about $150. So it isn't that big of a loss if you replace them and the stock ones weren't bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts