Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yeah,
i have synthetic hair coming out of my exhaust [bootyshak
is this the sound muffling from the exhaust, does this mean its now fully corroded and a new exhaust is needed?
i haven't noticed a loss in power or rise in fuel consumption

if it is a new exhaust how much are we talking here, the whole thing or the bit near the cat (not the cat as thats a metal grid?!)
how much is this roughly to fix

here are some pics so you can see what it looks like

thx

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
That's the fiberglass packing from the muffler.
I've seen that happen several times, though not quite this severe.

If the sound hasn't gotten any louder, (or it's at a level you can live with) I wouldn't worry about replacing it at this point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the fiberglass packing from the muffler.
I've seen that happen several times, though not quite this severe.

If the sound hasn't gotten any louder, (or it's at a level you can live with) I wouldn't worry about replacing it at this point.

well is it bad that ive had about 50% more out?, last journey there was some but i disregarded it, now theres loads.

i take it this will fail my MOT, can i just get the muffler changed or is it the whole lot from the engine block out?

like i say i cant hear any difference and fuel consumption is the same just done my journey back to uni and it took 1/4 tank like it always does

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
MOT?

It's just the muffler that has that fiberglass packing in it, so that's the only thing you'd need to replace.
Though, once all that packing gets blown out, I don't see any problem in running it that way anyway, unless it's too loud.

Do you hear anything rattling around in the muffler if you shake it?
Maybe you had a backfire, and one of the baffles came loose, causing the packing to blow out?

This really isn't that common of a thing anymore, but in the days of glass-paks, it happened all the time.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
you're probly still under the noise ceiling so i'd take it to MOT and see what they say before replacing it.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I had a set of glasspacks on my old Nova do that.... it was so funny to rev it up and watch it blow fiberglass all over the yard..... until I had to clean it up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
MOT = Ministry of Transport in the UK

They're like our Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent in the US & Canada

·
Registered
334 Posts
oh, and fail MOT = fail vehicle inspection

And don't ask me why they still drive on the lefthand side of the road over there ;-)

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
yeah dont worry about it man. you will still pass the smog test. as long as it isnt excessively loud you will be fine. that is assuming scotland yard isnt looking for you because of the cross dresser in a cheap wig you ran over.[giggle]

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
lol i would love to be following behind you, flat out, and then all of a sudden this big gob of "syn hair" blows outt lol i would prlbley crash from laughing so hard

·
Registered
305 Posts
^yeah thatd be a great story to tell.

does the MOT have Db testing? because that sound deadening material is depleting and should get louder as more is expelled. that would be my only concern.

oh... and... WOOT! WRC Wales in october!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts