Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Podunk little Georgia cop gave the person watching my car for me a ticket for illegal tint tonight. Looks like it's going to be $110 fine which is not the deal, was willing to pay that on the spot. What ticks me off is that the car is being stored there in your lovely ******g state because I'm overseas, again, serving my country and the fact that the car is not driven on your streets daily, is legal in the state that it's registered in which is also the state that it's going back to, and I have a sales receipt that specifically states my intention to have a legal tint of 35% put on the car just so I can stay within the limits of the law where I would like to move to. The car is in storage right and the person watching it had moved so the car was being driven from old location to new location or about 10 miles total. No compassion whatsoever. I got nabbed by the light meter at 29% late at night. Way to support the troops you jackass redneck! Sorry for the rant I'm just feeling burned here, I know that I have issues with the tint installer too, not just the Georgia legal system. If it were me I'd say fine, give me my ticket and roll out but being that this happened to someone doing me a favor really pisses me off. The entire situation was explained to no avail. ******g hate Georgia cops, last time I was there those bastards would tail me for no reason for miles just waiting to pop me for something. I've been pulled over there before for "looking like a burglar", wtf is up with the dixie cops? So yeah at 29% I'm 2 or 3 percent lower than legal for that state. Any suggestions like to take it up in court with the install document and the fact that it's an out of state car being stored, pay the tick and suck it up, bitch at my Colorado tint installer? I dunno, the fine is not the issue here, it's principal.

Rant off, for now [8]

BTW, I'm from Tennessee so I think I can get away with labeling them rednecks [;)]

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Wow that's pretty sucky, for several reasons.

I was under the impression that if your car's registered someplace else, the rules of that state apply? I mean my uncle's van was registered in Florida several years after he moved back to RI, and he had a decorative front plate (legal in FL, illegal in RI) which was cool because the car wasn't registered here. Seems like tint would fall under the same principle?

And that's just unlucky that the cop found your car when it was being transported between storage places. Sounds like someone was flat-out bored and in a bad mood, to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like he just didn't get laid that night. So much for "Support Our Troops", but keep up the good work and someday that favor the pig did for you will come around to bite him in his dirty old ass. Howie

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I found buried in the motor vehicle statues of my state, that tint can be 35% with a 2-3% varience..or margin of error. I understand that your in another state, but i'd check out those laws...they might be the similier. Hell, you might be able to save $110

---Randy

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
^ Something to look into, thank you for the suggestion.

Edit: Seems the lovely peach state does have that statute after all. This is straight from the states official website however as of 2 May 2005 the legal limit is 32% plus or minus 3%, this might work. Also for those that wonder, georgia is one of the first states that has applied it's tint laws to non resident vehicles too as it was declared descrimination in their Supreme Court to only apply the law to residents. Remind me never to go there again, well not before I get a nice confederate flag decal on the back so Jo-Bob stays out of my shit. I'm also going to unleash hell on the asshat that was the chief sponsor for this bill, State Rep Calvin Hill. I'm in a damn rage over this almost, lol. I have spent almost the past 2-1/2 years away from home defending our country and this is the great state of georgia's support? I never play that card either, I don't feel like anyone owes me shit for what I do but damnit please do understand how damned tough it is to keep everything together without you numbnuts busting a soldiers balls over something trivial. I understand that there is this concern for cops getting shot from cars that have tinted windows but dude, even if my shit was 3% lighter it wouldn't change that cops visibility any now would it. And we are talking about a car that gets zero mileage and I can prove that by dealer mileage tickets since early december 04'. I'm still ranting.....my appologies! To those that have offered tips and kind words, thank you [thumb]

^ that's about the best shot I have saved showing the tint on the car and how it's not too hard to see into the car or though it even. Notice when you look through the rear windows you can see the garage door on the other side?

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
When I lived in Omaha, I kept my truck registered in Tx, and I got away will all types of stuff, all they can do if give me a warning.......I had about 12 warnings in my glovebox, seeing as I was just "passing thru"...........

and yes Southern Cops are a pain. Most of them are NRA......"nigg**' run away"....!

·
Registered
411 Posts
do you have any documentation of paying for a 35% tint? (if i understand the tint job 'screw over' correctly) they will probably still bill you the $110, but you could get the tint guy to pay it all off. and i definatly understand how pissed off you would be that your buddy went through all this shit doing you a favor.

btw... thank you for serving our.... continent (canada here)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
That cop is a Communist. Forward his name to Karl Rove!

Jk but that sucks. Cop was being a douche, he probably was bored, a loser or quotas. Did you tell him you were armed forces? They let you off most of the time (or so they should). You'll probably be able to get it taken away since that new law came out. Did it come out before or after the ticket? That'll be the kicker for this junk....

and thanks for the freedom and everything!

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are all really too kind with the appreciation and support for what I do. Thank you! [thumb]

Now, I do in fact have the sales receipt for a tint job that will be Washington State legal amount of 35%. So the receipt, which is in the car in my binder with all of my receipts, shows that I payed for a tint of 35%. Not too big of a deal, I mean yeah I'm a little unhappy that the installer let the level go below what was requested but they have done a good number of my vehicles so I have no bones with it being slightly lower. What has my ass chapped is a fellow public servant going out of their way to follow the letter of the law to a T. Yes it is not legal in your state but it also probably will fall into the plus or minus 3% rule contained within the law should this go to court. The law was passed in May of this year and my car got pinched the other night so I dunno. The car was placed into storage in January down in Georgia and I have been overseas since December so there may be the possibility of getting a grandfather clause compassion ruling from a Judge, lol. Or I may just suck it up and pay the fine. I'm still way to burnt about the situtaion to concede defeat.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If it was passed in May then they got you, sorry. But show up to court (hah in uniform and that cop wouldnt say a word!) and who knows. And yeah Dixie cops
are defintley hardcore, especially if your not local (which is the case with ANY cop in any state)

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Not too big of a deal, I mean yeah I'm a little unhappy that the installer let the level go below what was requested but they have done a good number of my vehicles so I have no bones with it being slightly lower.

Do you use window tint cleaner,
or regular Windex.......if so, you are making your tint darker than what it was orginally. Anything with ammonia will darken it, and eventually make it turn purpley.......

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've only used the Armor All brand window cleaner, amonia free and tint safe so it says.
I also have found some much better pics illustrating how light the tint is and will get those up soon.

EDIT:

Clearly not that dark of a tint me thinks. Screw it I just have to resign myself to never going to that state again, lol

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, some can be real jackasses but like out in Colorado they were very cool to me, suppose where you are at has alot to do with things. Now the same police department that pulled my car also pulled my girl over a few months ago when she was in my F-150 and had an armada of cops show up. Her crime, she has a custom decal in the back window that says "Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies", lol. A sticker and they actually thought she was rolling around in a brand new Lariat no less with bodies in the damned thing. Even the cops admitted they stepped on their dicks that time around.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wont do either! It seems that I have an Uncle in Law in that district that is a judge, lol. Let's just say that the situation has been resolved, I still have my tint & my $110 bones [:D]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm straight by Colorado law where I'll be going back to in December so that's cool. Also I should be ok in Washington State were I want to move to next as it's a 35% film law which I have, I think, lol. Georgia is a 32% Net law state so it really doesn't matter what the film % was. Does this mean that the stock glass has something like a 6% tint from factory? I'll have to check into it more when I get some time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts