Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few weeks I had an strange intermittent problem with dashlights and rear lights. (Focus Trend 2008-European model sedan)
With the head lamp lights switched off - dash lights were lit up along with
the tail lights- --Turning on switch would extinguish panel lights and tail lights
The front main headlamps functioned correctly. Some times this would correct itself after a few seconds to many minutes to never
Thought it might be the switch
Paid a visit to the dealer
Turns out it was the BCM a part I never knew existed
and it turns out -monetarily speaking you should never know it exists!
Luckily we were able to find a used one from a wreck which substantially
lowered the cost to about 1/6 th the the price of the original new part
The dealer also had to program the replaced BCM
Here is a photo of the part:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Was it the dealer that traced the problem back to BCM ? . Did it have any moisture in it ? I am assuming you are in Israel , its a dry climate, no ?
So no corrosion. Very rare for that module to malfunction. But I guess nothing is impossible. Hope the problem is solved. Good Luck..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI
The climate is dry and in the rare rain storm or car wash there is no entry of water
The dealer who has a very large and modern service center, services a heck of alot of
vehicles every day, and I guess is experienced.
I know that they first replaced the light switch and when that didn't fix it narrowed it down to the unit. The car is serviced by them and is well cared for- with no electronic devices added on
Whether they saw something in the computer diagnosis or just replaced it I'm not sure
The result was that it was working properly
Thankfully they found me a "pulled" unit
A new one is almost the price of 2 MACBOOK pros'
Many many wires connect to this unit I could see how tracing a short in these cars could be extremely difficult

1 - 3 of 3 Posts